Fuel tank sender floats?

spanter

Hi having just had the fuel tank repaired for the WC54 I've been told the cork float on the sender unit has seen better days is it better to replace the whole sender or can you just buy replacement cork/plastic floats? Sender unit is working fine but now its been out and dry for a few days I guess the cork will have dried out so replacement may be on the cards.

Cheers

Steve.

As it turns out someone had ingeniously snapped the float arm, so had created a loop with what was left then hooked two corks on the loop just like a bodge you'd do in your toilet cistern, so maybe a new one is a better idea, oh well I'll add it to the shopping list. Thanks for the reply Mike but I've been warned that corks need to be sealed with shellac before being put in fuel but the modern shellac is not what it used to be!

Cheers

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

i've had three sender unit cork floats in the last year that have swollen and started to sink because the coating on them dissolves in modern fuel (repro jeep units). i replace the cork with plastic floats from modern vehicles, just have a rummage around the scrap yard and find a suitable size shape.