Hillman Minx models in WW2 service

matchlesswdg3

Following my quest for a WW2 staff car, I have been researching the Hillman Minx. From what I have found out, most of these staff cars around on the show scene today have been painted in RAF colours (which seems to tally with Lord Routes wartime role as head of production for Routes cars and aeroplanes!). However, most seem to be the pre-1939 model. Details on the switch-over to the 1939-on phase 1 model with "alligator" bonnet and clamshell style boot are vague. Did the Phase 1 model only come out post-war? Or was there a mix of pre-Phase 1 and Phase 1 production durinmg the war? Grateful for any illumination on this. Ferg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Following my quest for a WW2 staff car, I have been researching the Hillman Minx. From what I have found out, most of these staff cars around on the show scene today have been painted in RAF colours (which seems to tally with Lord Routes wartime role as head of production for Routes cars and aeroplanes!). However, most seem to be the pre-1939 model. Details on the switch-over to the 1939-on phase 1 model with "alligator" bonnet and clamshell style boot are vague. Did the Phase 1 model only come out post-war? Or was there a mix of pre-Phase 1 and Phase 1 production durinmg the war? Grateful for any illumination on this. Ferg

Hillman Minx Phase 1 cars debuted in late 1939 for model-year 1940. The pre-Phase 1 cars were phased out almost immediately. Up till November 1942, some 10,015 Minx saloons were built in total. Some were of the military type (smaller diameter headlights, no chrome, etc.) and some were of full civilian type (many were exported). Civilian types were still being turned out in small numbers in 1943.

The military saloon, however, was continued in production during the entire war. From 1942 through 1944 a small number of these were diverted for essential civilian use. The only known figure for the pre-November-1942 period is the one I quoted above; Volume 1 of the Rootes Group War History is not extant. Volume 2 is, and I researched from it. I can quote chapter and verse on Minx saloon and ute production for the period December 1942 through November 1944. (I don't know if there ever was a Volume 3, picking up in December 1944.) At any rate, the Minx military saloon was still in production, and the civilian version of the Phase 1 replaced it during the latter part of 1945.

Minx Utilities were produced at a much higher rate during the war than saloons were. The Hillman Fourteen saloon was also still being produced in 1940 in limited numbers, mainly for the Army and Royal Air Force.

• Like 1