Information on a TEL SIGHTG item.

BobbyBobby

At the bottom of my brother's recently bought back garden, he found what looks like a military telescope. We are both curious to learn more about it. Any information, pointers or links would be very much appreciated.

The sleeve at one end has the following engraving,

TEL SIGHTG

No 48 MK1S

OS 970G.A

REGD NO 52106

Regards,

Chris

hi chris

you have a tank sight for vehicles equipped with the 95mm howitzer, these would be the centaur, churchill and cromwell (my cromwell was armed with 95mm howitzer). when you look thru the sight you will see 95mm how at the top with range markings for the main gun on the left and mg on the right. it should also have the numbers 1.9 or 3 after the no.48 these represent the magnification, x1.9 for the hull mg and x3 for the turret, the hull mg is marked up for the main gun so it can be used in the turret if the need arises. most sights sell for about £25 incase you think about selling it.

rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for indentifying the item. I am now going to see what I can find on line regarding pictures or diagrams of the installation of such an item.

I suppose the Bovington Tank Museum would have an example in one of their vehicles? If not the exact model. at least the same family.

I can't help wondering how it got to the place where it was found!!

Regards,

Chris

you'd be surprised just how common they are, i've been collecting them for only 2 years and i have over 40, there's normally 4 or 5 on ebay at any one time.

all the sights have the same dimensions and look similar to one another so there's no way without looking at the designation to know which gun/mg combination they are for unless ofcourse you look down the sight as the type of gun is marked at the top of the lense ie. 6pdr 75mm 77mm and so on.

here's a link to a great sight when it comes to all things ww2

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119:british-sighting-telescopes&catid=49:other-data&Itemid=61

rick