Saracen antennas

Alaskan

Hello,

Wondering if anyone had any information on what the proper antennas are that were used on the Saracen vehicles. I have two antenna mounts on my Saracen and would like to equip them with the right antennas for display. Does anyone:

1. Know the proper nomenclature for the antennas?

2. Know where I can obtain antennas?

3. Have any pictures of a Saracen equipped with stock antennas?

Thank you for your time

Rodney

Hi Rodney, I will dig in the Saracen register, also search for Saracen on Youtube, Safariwing uploaded a Saracen tribute video a while ago.

There you go!

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19529-What-!-No-Saracen-Gallery&highlight=saracen+register

I have gone through the register, lots of pics but very little detail. Oily does have antennas on his Sarry, maybe you can PM him?

Edited by montie

Hi Alaskan,

I do indeed have antennas on my Saracen, correct ones!, I will have to do some digging, but I think I may have a couple or so spare ones that I may be able to send you....

Hi Alaskan, i was looking at some documents earlier and the antennas are called Aerial Element 4-ft. Antennae Rod "F" Section. These are 4 ft long and there are three types, upper, lower and middle.

No2 is the upper, part no (Z1/5820-99-949-0985) ZA44683),

No3 is the lower, part no (Z1/5820-99-949-0995) ZA44682),

the only description I found for the other section is the part no (Z1/5820-99-949-1166) ZA44684),

You would normally have 2 x 4 ft sections in the base, or a least thats what I and most other people do. I think I only have 2 of the section types, I will have to check next weekend.

looking at the manual, if its a vhf aerial you have a max aerial length of 8ft so would use 2 sections, if its a hf set then you would have 3 sections that gives 12 ft of aerial.

the first picture is the vhf base:

vhf base.jpg

this is the uhf base:

uhf base.jpg

I'm no expert so maybe someone who has used these can confirm?

• 2 weeks later...

Four-foot rods as shown are spot on for Larkspur. Clansman used one metre rods (which apart from length were virtually identical).

Rods came in three sections, top, middle and bottom and each screwed into the next.

On a VHF set, only two sections were required, either top/middle or middle bottom (which was very robust and gave little flexion, but rods were always in short supply and you used what you could steal - I mean get) to give 8 feet (2m Clansman) of antenna, electronically optimised for length by the ATU.

You could use 8 feet (2m) with an HF set and allow the ATU to tune it, but 12 feet (3m) was more efficient). 12 feet was a lot of rod and when flying that much rod, it was normal to insert a sloper between rods and antenna base to allow the antenna to slope. (A vertical antenna was more important with VHF as polarisation of the propagated wave mattered. Because you never needed more than 8 feet of rod, sloping wasn't necessary anyway.)

I am open to correction here. We had Saracens and Larkspur which we replaced with Sultans and Clansman about 1979. However I do recall that we did not change both vehicles and radios at the same time. In the back of my mind, Clansman was not compatible with the Saracen ACV, we got Sultan before Clansman and fitted Larkspur radios for one season, then the following year we converted our Sultans to Clansman at the same time as the rest of the regiment's various CVR(T)s.