Chevy/ Hard cab Jimmy question

lightweight

Paul, in all your studying of base vehicle photos, have you come across any generally adhered to policy for markings?

Would it be a general rule that vehicles allocated to a specific squadron show that squadron number (e.g. 561), others which show the BG or FG number would presumably have been allocated to units which covered the entire base maybe?

You'll be mighty relieved to learn that despite a thorough search I cannot find that garbage truck photo, so you'll just have to label her up as something else :red:

As for white bumper ends front and white bumperettes back, I think they look really good - sort of give the truck a defined edge, and are very effective as a safety measure too. Some bases painted the entire front bumper which I don't like - too much white. Not all vehicles on any one base were painted the same either.

Here is a 388th BG Chev I posted on the appalling stencil thread, showing that anything goes really. Instead of 388Bg it has 136STA (Station 136, the base designation). Note the MacChevrolet burger logo where the 8 should be, also lack of white bumper ends unlike most 388th trucks, but with small white sections on wing tips. I think that's the nice thing about USAAF finish - it can be whatever you fancy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59512[/ATTACH]

This is all very useful stuff - much appreciated. I'd like to think that I could improve on the stencilling in the photo, time will tell!

Any other 'bumpers on airfields' photo's would be appreciated. I'm not going to get to the stencilling for a few days yet - annoyingly work is interfering - and I'd like to get it right first time!

It's very much mix-and-match from the 8AF vehicles I've seen, those that haven't been censored out that is.

In the main vehicles assigned to the combat units at Group and Squadron level follow the book numbers-wise but with variations on lettering formats.

On-base support units can be either fully "by the book" or completely made up as they saw fit. ;)

SOS and ASC transport and supply units that would be mainly out on the road were usually as laid out in the relevant bumf though.

Blackout markings also come in a variety of flavours as you'd already mentioned.

My particular favourite is the white-painted hub covers on this jeep based at Sharnbrook ordnance depot. :)

roadstores.jpg

Hi Martin,

your Chevy is looking good!

I was up at the workshop tonight and remembered to measure the hole spacings for the Chevy rear window guard, they are 9 3/4'' apart

Edited by G506

Hi Martin,

your Chevy is looking good!

I was up at the workshop tonight and remembered to measure the hole spacings for the Chevy rear window guard, they are 9 3/4'' apart

Ah, thanks Mark, very grateful.

Did you get the actual width and height of the guard?

Hi Martin,

I can get those later this week (should have got them last night, shouldnt I!)

Very grateful for the help so far!

Did the stencilling today, I went with my original plan - no real reason why, just couldn't be bothered to work out something more complicated - and as Mr Bellamy had already done all the hard work for me it seemed rude not to!

IMG_0312.jpg

I'm hoping the blue on the bonnet will calm down a bit as it dries!