ferret steering gear

01ec28

Question

I'm not sure if I've run across disagreements between two manuals. One manual says to drain the steering relay boxes every 6000 miles to drain off oil seepage, which to me would mean they should be left free of oil except any film that is left inside. Another field repair manual, if I read it right, says to fill the relay boxes with 1.5 pints of oil. Are these boxes meant to be only lightly lubricated by leakage? There's no grease points on the relay lever bushes and no fill points on the relay boxes( besides inspection plate for removing the link pin).

Regards, Drew

1 answer to this question

posted this on ferret forum and got a bit of the reme history on this. I noticed when I went to fill the relay box that they did indeed have some leakage from the above steering box. Anyhow, my solution was to fill with a 3/8 fitting and barrel pump the oil with the steering crossover cracked to let out air. Only lost a touch of oil changing out my filling fitting to the drain plug when done. Seemed way easier than removing the inspection plates.

D