Ex Wolf Donaldson air filter to fit TUM with 300Tdi

fraser61

I've just bought a Donaldson air filter which I believe is standard on a WOLF to retrofit to my recently acquired D110 fitted with a 300Tdi engine.

My questions are of the two large hose connections, one concentric with the axis of the filter the other at right angles on the base which is for air in and which is for clean air out?

Typically how is the filter mounted to the body as I've seen a photo of one lying horizontally on the offside side of the engine, by the injector pump?

So should the filter be mounted vertically or horizontally?

What is the purpose of the much smaller pipe on the filter lid which to me looks like a clogged filter bypass pipe fitted with rubber shroud, to prevent water induction perhaps?

Finally what is the purpose of the very small externally threaded pipe on the base? presumably a drain, if so does the tube connecting it need to go anywhere particular or just allow drain off by gravity?

Thanks in advance

Fraser

Concentric connection is outlet to intercooler, right angle conection is inlet (from raised air intake)

Filter is mounted horizontally at an angle to the engine using mounting/interface bracket (NSN 7XD 4330 99 958 0470 or locally manufactured) fitted to the adapted existing air cleaner mounting bracket.

You're right about the clogged filter bypass.

Don't know about the small externally threaded pipe.

Thanks very much for the info. When you say at an angle to the engine what do you mean please and as I don't have the vehicle handy to look at where was the original air filter mounted?

This vehicle also has a pair of Wolf side air intakes, do you happend to know if its just a case of attaching a large bore hose to connect them with a Y-piece to interconnect?

Cheers

Fraser