NOS Trousers Sateen 1952 Pattern

Eaglehurst

Very nice condition 1952 Pattern trousers Sateen. I believe there were three different issues of this type of trousers. I think this is the second issue with the button over flap on the fly?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55073[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55074[/ATTACH]

Very nice Jason !

Three types of trousers as mentioned:-

1. "Trousers, Combat" - the original issue made from 1951-52 - cotton-gabardine construction and lined with similar.

2. "Trousers, Combat, Sateen, 1952 pattern" - second pattern made from 1952-53. Identical to (1) above in detail but made from cotton-sateen and no lining.

3. "Trousers, Combat, Sateen, 1953 Pattern" - third pattern made from 1953 to 1960. Identical to (2) but button-over-fly deleted and zipper repositioned to sit vertically.

I have examples of (2) and (3) but not (1) - the latter would seem very hard to find, as are matching smocks in Gabardine only made for about a year......I have a gabardine hood though, in NOS condition dated 1952....:-D

I have examples of (2) and (3) but not (1) - the latter would seem very hard to find, as are matching smocks in Gabardine only made for about a year......I have a gabardine hood though, in NOS condition dated 1952....:-D

Thanks Steve. What is the label description for the Gabardine smock you mention?

Edited by Eaglehurst

Thanks Steve. What is the label description for the Gaberdine smock you mention?

As far as I can ascertain, only the 1952 and 53 patterns of trouser carried the year pattern-designation on the label.....smocks and hoods carried nothing other than the addition of the word "sateen" signifying the later 1952 pattern made in this material.....

As far as I can establish, the original pattern combat smock in gabardine carried only the simple description "Smock, Combat" on the label, later versions adding the word "Sateen"......hoods appear to have followed a similar trend although some early sateen production used the earlier labeling but with "Sateen" added in the form of a purple or black-coloured ink stamp......

The original gabardine combat smock would use the same cloth as found on the first pattern middle parka, the type with the attached hood and no top pockets....it is thought that the gabardine was replaced by sateen as field experience revealed the former to be less durable.....

Edited by wdbikemad

Jason, I am pretty certain that the original production combat smocks and trousers manufactured from 1951 to mid-1952 were never too plentiful......and the bulk of production rushed over to Korea for the winter around October-November 1951....hence accounting for the scarcity today.....

A few years ago now I did see a NOS sealed pattern GDS (Garment Development Section) smock on Ebay dated June 1951 but sadly missed out on it.......

As with most things though, the odd example will survive somewhere........I have a NOS gabardine hood dated 1952 (the end of gabardine production) plus you have one of those 1st pattern middle parkas also in gabardine !!!

It's a case of keep looking......:-) !!!

It's also well worth trying to acquire a pair of the Trouser Liners made for the Korean War combat trousers.....I got a NOS pair from "Surplus and Outdoors" last year for around £10 in a Size 1 dated 1951.....and I am pretty certain that another seller currently has some size 5's available NOS with a similar date.......it's a trader with an Ebay shop so worth searching on combinations of the word "liner" and taking it from there.....these are a rare item nowadays and a key part of the early combat suit...

Edited by wdbikemad

It's also well worth trying to acquire a pair of the Trouser Liners made for the Korean War combat trousers.....I got a NOS pair from "Surplus and Outdoors" last year for around £10 in a Size 1 dated 1951.....and I am pretty certain that another seller currently has some size 5's available NOS with a similar date.......it's a trader with an Ebay shop so worth searching on combinations of the word "liner" and taking it from there.....these are a rare item nowadays and a key part of the early combat suit...

Steve - based on your tipoff I purchased a pair a year or so ago now. The seller on Ebay has, as you say, a couple of pairs of nice size 5 examples. You do not often seem them come up. I wonder if there was a similar smock liner?

Strangely enough I paid a visit to Surplus and Outdoors over the weekend. Good shop but like most surplus stores these days the shop floor is full of CS95 gear and they have to rumage around in the depths of the stores to find the older gear! That is where I picked up the trousers that are the subject of this thread.

Steve - based on your tipoff I purchased a pair a year or so ago now. The seller on Ebay has, as you say, a couple of pairs of nice size 5 examples. You do not often seem them come up. I wonder if there was a similar smock liner?

Strangely enough I paid a visit to Surplus and Outdoors over the weekend. Good shop but like most surplus stores these days the shop floor is full of CS95 gear and they have to rumage around in the depths of the stores to find the older gear! That is where I picked up the trousers that are the subject of this thread.

No smock liner Jason.......the first smock liner was the nylon 1968 pattern, introduced during 1972.....regulations with the older kit specified multi-layers of other garments, such as string vest, flannel shirt, sweater, heavy-duty ribbed jersey, combat smock and middle parka on top.......the trousers had only themselves worn over the liner on top of long johns...!