What is this??

mike65

Question

11 answers to this question

Coaxial socket used for stowing the cable plugs if not connected to the aerial tuning unit.

OK for what aerial/cable?

The wing came of a truck that I was told was 1983 and has the rececessed tray with the spade flap on for the 2 cables that go to the Clansman TUAAM. These cable would not fit this.

Mike

Mike those coaxial plugs were often known as "Pye plugs" & are used in Larkspur. Whereas the TUAAM RF is fed via BNC connectors. I believe both types are 75 ohm impedance.

So would Larkspur have been installed on a late S3 truck with the recessed pockets?

Had both wings and it is only on RH wing nothing on LH.

Mike

No idea Mike, I expect a Land Rover expert will come along soon. I just recognised the connectors, my first Lightweight had these dummy stowage sockets mounted like that.

Thanks Clive at least I know what it is.

Will probably take it off and put somewhere safe.

Mike

PS: Have sent you a PM via EMLRA.

I see from my EMER catalogue that Clansman conversion instructions started to be issued from October 1977.

I notice you have asked the question on EMLRA but no PM come yet.

No idea what happened there then, is in my EMLRA sent items lets try it from here.

Mike

Mike those coaxial plugs were often known as "Pye plugs" & are used in Larkspur. Whereas the TUAAM RF is fed via BNC connectors. I believe both types are 75 ohm impedance.

Cough!

The "Pye Plugs" which were indeed invented by W.G.Pye just prior to WW2 as a means of quickly and reasonably securing co-axial cable to radio equipment are used on WW2 radio and radar equipment. They're purely a mechanical connection and have no "designed" electrical characteristics. These are the diecast "elbow" connectors seen on the 19 set and other kit.

The connector in the photograph is a "Burndept" connector which was used on the "New Range" (Larkspur) kit. It is also a "mechanical fit only" with no defined electrical characteristics. They're retained by a threaded collar rather

than a spring wire clip and are more robust as well as being somewhat water resistant.

Clansman used BNC (Bayonet Neill Concelman, after the fitting type and the names of the designers) for low power sets (e.g: UK/PRC 320) and "C" (Concelman designed) connectors for the higher power (UK/VRC 321).

BNC and C-type (also N-type) have an electrical specification as well as a mechanical one, and are much better.

(Caution should be employed when connecting these, as they are made in 50 ohm and 75 ohm variants - forcing a 50 ohm plug into a 75 ohm socket can cause permanent damage to both plug and socket as the central pin diameters are different. With military kit this tends not to be a problem, as all the connectors will be of the same type.

The C connectors are used on modern kit because they are robust, reliable, waterproof and quick to connect/disconnect.

A quick search on Google or similar will get you more detail than you could possibly wish for.:-D

Thanks folks.

At least I know what it is cannot work out why it was mounted so low down the inner wing (or even on what was a late truck)

As I am fitting clansman I will take off, tag and bag as it may come in useful some day.

Mike