Alvis / Supacat relationship

robin craig

Dear All,

For a while now I had thought the the Mk 2A Supacat in the collection was an oddity in as much as the makers plate has Alvis involved. I had thought that perhaps Alvis was involved as it was a sale to a foreign country, Canada.

From what I can see of the detailed pictures of the one for sale at Withams here:-

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/39806/Supacat_6x6.htm

has the same kind of plate as ours.

Can anyone explain how Alvis became the maker as far as the data plate goes?

R

Robin

As I understood it Supacat produced the design off their own backs and touted it round to encourage sales. Somebody at MoD decided they liked it and wanted to place a large order, at which point it became obvious that Supacat didn't have the manufacturing capacity to produce so many vehicles, hence Alvis were brought in to provide the capacity.. This was back in the late 80's or early 90's...

Dont know exactly what arrangement was ie whether Alivs actually bought the design or produced it under licence or similar.

I was told this by an ex senior employee of alvis so I dont know how true it is but it does make some sense at least...

Cheers

timbo

I am thinking of bidding on this but am worried just in case it is a non runner.

"This vehicle has not been tried or tested by us" I think may well mean "has not been tested because we know it wont go".

I think a trip up there is needed does any body know what to look for that might spell trouble?