Scammell Explorer (Dora)

Well i have now run the truck with the front prop shaft removed and i still have this bloody grumble noise....it seems to be related to road speed and is set off when running with no load on the flat....once started it will just carry on grumbling up hill down hill till i feather the throttle and stop it......The noise has to be from the tranfer box or output from the main gearbox as it can be heard rumbling in neutral and during gear changes.....So i have decided to go down the route of ignore it and let it develop cos i can't just keep stripping things down with no result.......The grumble is not too bad when its cold and gets much worse when the oil is warmed up....so i now plan to fill the transfer box with 140 oil for the rear axle (any thoughts) any thoughts on putting it in the gearbox? or will it bugger the oil pump ect.....

Yours fed up,

Rob....

Ps this bloody grumble is a new noise and unrelated to the whine which i have also decided to ignore............

Edited by rbrtcrowther

Ahh right oh....Haven't got a pressure gauge on mine, just a light that goes of a 3psi. I wonder if the flange is loose again or the bearings baggy, Its has to be the transfer box or output flange cos the front is disconnected now. Still have some loctite 660 left. Might pull it off and re fix it sometime......but thinking about it....why would the rumble be less when cold if the flange is loose? must be a bearing in the box.....hmmmmmm...

• 2 years later...