gmc measurement quick job for tomorrow

jonny loot

hi men ,just on with the hood bows on the back of my gmc 353 ,i`m looking for the measurement from the top of the wooden rail (side ) top rail to the bottom of the metal bow corner bracket. the truck has a standard hight canvas,

cheers

jonny loot

Jonny

I'll have a measure tomorrow for you.

Cheers

Vulture

Hi Jonny,

There are at least 2 types of metal corners for Gmc, they are slightly different in size.

So the best advice i can give you is, fit all the bows and measure from centre of each bow to the bed floor.

Set them all to 1550mm or 5'1".

That is how i set mine to suit a Worthing canvas.

Hope this helps, regards David.

cheers for that vulture kept meaning to measure one when at the shows and if it`s not raining tomorrow i`ll crack on with it

Jonny

Taken a couple of pictures this afternoon. Hopefully I've understood you correctly.

2766730390099353463S425x425Q85.jpg

2440915750099353463S425x425Q85.jpg

2447367010099353463S500x500Q85.jpg

Looking at the ruler I reckon its about 7.7 cm from the metal upright to the metal bow. Given that the bracket is slightly below the top of the wood 7.5 is probably the measurement your looking for.

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
Slight tweak to wording

Hi Jonny,

There are at least 2 types of metal corners for Gmc, they are slightly different in size.

So the best advice i can give you is, fit all the bows and measure from centre of each bow to the bed floor.

Set them all to 1550mm or 5'1".

That is how i set mine to suit a Worthing canvas.

Hope this helps, regards David.

Care to elaborate? I know for the later M SERIES the are are two types (the standard and a quick detach for the M35A2C drop side model).

A quick check of several TMs,Army Motors and the 43 cargo bed assembly instructions never mention any possible secondary corners.

Do you have pics or a part number?

The article is in the Jan 45 issue of Army Motors. Here's a snippet:The issue of AM is available here: http://www.tm9-801.com/ArmyMotors/index.php

Deadline

Awesome job gathering those AM magazines together !! :-)

As soon as I can I shall download the lot.

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To adjust formating

Care to elaborate? I know for the later M SERIES the are are two types (the standard and a quick detach for the M35A2C drop side model).

A quick check of several TMs,Army Motors and the 43 cargo bed assembly instructions never mention any possible secondary corners.

Do you have pics or a part number?

Hi deadline, i knew you would ask for more information. These corner sections will have been produced post-war as replacements for the French, Dutch, Norwegian and other armies. I think rear bodies were made in Germany ? There are no identifying marks on them.

You may be able to help me : I have bought a 270cu Jimmy engine in the USA, it will be rebuilt, i wonder if you could recommend a supplier of mild tuning parts ? I don't know of any in the UK.

Thankyou, regards David Robertson.

Gmc 003.jpg

I am not 100% sure, but my experience is that the corners with the stamped holes are later M series. The 'solid' parts are the WWII ones.

Here's an NOS M35a2 cargo corner sold by a big M series parts dealer:

I don't have any pics at hand.. but I think that the all solid corners are 'proper'.

As for 270 performance parts any online parts place (Summit Racing, Jeggs, NAPA) should have the parts. The 270 was in production till the 60's and still popular for hot rods.

4151.jpg

Hi deadline,

Thanks for the information. The engine is out of a '58 pickup and should already be about 130hp, this may be enough power for a cckw. I am not looking for more speed just a bit more guts on hills and possibly slightly more mpg.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I didn't know about the the M series hood bow metal corners. I saw quite a few for sale at Beltring this year but i didn't pay much attention to them, as i have a full set + some spare, i will next year.

What hood bow corners have the other Gmc/Chevy owners on their trucks ? Waiting to hear.

Regards David Robertson.

I checked the cargo bed assembly instruction TM dated 1943 and they show the corners with the holes.

It may be that the bows never changed from the 1940's. Like the Budd nuts on the wheels.. still in use today unaltered, also the steel 5 gallon gas can (made by blitz, a wartime supplier).

The only differences I can see for the corners is that the roll up strap should be leather, not canvas.

Other than that it seems that the M series corners are perfectly acceptable for WWII once the strap is changed.

About the only 'drop in' upgrades I can think of for the 270 would be a new cam and/or raise the compression. Both are pretty simply to do.. the cam would be the easiest... no machining would be required. You take out a piston, measure the bore and find out you are out of round, worn etc and may need sleeves to get back to 'standard' piston size.

Using a 302 head would not do much. The issue isn't intake or exhaust performance... but the 270 is a 6.5:1 compression engine. Bump that to 7:1 or better and you have made massive performance gains.

This site http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/ seems to be a much referenced site for 270 upgrades.

I did find a few of the 'solid' box corners in my stash. Only thing I noticed was that they appear *slightly* thinner. I didn't measure it, but even you side by side pic looks like the solid corner is thinner.

The TMs show precious little of the cargo bodies or corners. The solid corners could be 'early', and as a measure to save steel they were stamped (and the punched metal recycled) but I have nothing to back that up. 'Early' war (mid to late 42) really didn't have wartime materials restrictions in place. The jeeps got hit in late 42 (no more brass data plates, most rubber was purged for felt etc). CCKWs also got hit in mid/late 42 (wood cargo body, open cab etc) so it makes sense... but its pure conjecture.

I also thought that the solid corners could be for some trailer.. but not the 1 ton or 1/4 ton.. they would have been the most numerous.. the Ben Hur had an all wood bow, and the 1/4 ton didn't have any bows.