Withams Harley sale

ferrettkitt

We went for a wander to Withams today to have a look the Harleys that will be up for tender this coming Monday. I pity anyone who bids blind on these bikes you really really need to have gone and cranked them over. Only three bikes actually started from 120 odd that we tried. We didn't bother trying the racing bikes

More than ten engines were seized solid and they were among the ones that were supposed to be good (Lot 71 was seized). Lots 121 to 131 had been used for racing and had numbers on them and had been stripped down. We kicked a load of them into touch as they had no compression which could be caused by them sitting for so long outside (one year plus).

We eventually narrowed it down to thirty bikes that had good compression and reasonable external condition. We then narrowed it down again to six bikes that we would bid on when I arrived home Saturday evening.

I was going to bid on Sunday but the reserve is set to high for what I think they are worth. It will be interesting to see if they all sell

Edited by ferrettkitt

Hi Andy, I had been after a nice example of one of these for a long time. If you sign up for the MT Riders club, there are a lot of expirienced owners there. Who are as helpfull there, as member are here on HMVF.

What you have to balance up with Whithams & a privately owned example is quite simple really.

If you but an ex whithams one, before you start anything else. You will HAVE to: drain petrol tank & flush out, strip out & clean the petcock, change ALL oils AND filters, Change cambelt, check all fittings for seizure & tighten as ness. you may also have to remove the tyres & change the inner rubber strip & replace the tubes! POSSIBLY have to drain resevoiur & replace rubbers in brake system etc.

Check out the cost of those spares & lubes plus your time.AND you will then have to MOT & Pay the fee for registration Etc.

A lot of Whithams ones have bits missing & need to be replaced.

THEN look at the cost of one ON THE ROAD & all the work done by the owner (Usually an enthusiast!) Al you would have to do is insure it & ride off! It can actually work out cheaper & a LOT less hassle this way!

I got a lovely example with ONLY 3,000 miles on the clock from an enthusiast. It had only ever served with ONE unit in Army service, & even then done about 800 mile in Military use!

Check out Evilpay on MT 350's & you will see what is available.

Avoid any that say in the listing, 'Just released from service & need registering'. They have been bought drect from Whithams & had virtually NOTHING done to them.

Good luck Mate & let us all know how you get on! Cheers! ;)

Hi Mike,

I decided this morning that they weren't worth the minimum bid price.

Yesterday between us we talked about what would be needed to make them roadworthy, head off, new cam belts and the fuel tank removing was just three of the basic things that we talked about. The things you have mentioned are extras to add onto the list of things that need doing to them to make them roadworthy.

Yes they do have a lot of things wrong with them and to me it makes them worth less when they have been left outside for more than a year. Petrol engines just don't like sitting without being used.

Edited by ferrettkitt

I think what will happen to most of them that are junk & get left. Is someone from the MT Riders club, will put in a low offer to clear them out. I supsect that the MOD would then be glad to get anything back rather than nothing eventually!

Most will be canabalised for spares & broken up & some parts auctioned off through Evilbay. Though to be fair, nothing is Impossible, as you know well from some of your own restoration projects! There are affectionardo's of these machines who prize them as do we over some of our favourite vehicles. Spares are plentifull for the Rotax engine, so no problems there.

I would assume that if someone has time & lavishes enough care & spare time on most of these. They will be restored & bought back to life. As this is the Final batch to be outed from the M.O.D. They will only increase in value as have a lot of Ex Mil Vehicles. Just look at the price of Jeeps & Ferrets for example! I have noticed that the prices for restored examples & road ready machines are climbing steadily already! Maybe, you just might want to reconsider your postion on getting one now? They will only get more expensive Mate. Have you heard of the price of vehicles going down, even recently?.....;)

Look what happened to the 'glut' of Armour that WAS available. A lot got scrapped for the scrap value, & the result of this was certain spares got harder to locate as needed. The spares prices went mental (Think Ferret side bins for example) & only served to drive up the price of restored examples. I would sign up for the MT riders club as I said & ask questions on thier forum. A VERY helpfull & decent bunch of Knowlegable enthusiasts. Keep us upto speed with your progress Andy! Good Luck.

Mike.

Yeah, all noted Mate. I guess all you could do is go for an example with a non seized engine & in better condition. However, the price will reflect accordingly I guess! But then again, I reitterate what i said earlier. A better example will yield a better price as less needs replacing or less doing to it. Methinks you will have to pay a higher price for an all up & running specimin eventualy, but you will have to think what it means to you & how badly you want one of these machines. A low inistial price may SEEM cheap at first. BUT, by the time you have bought the spares & servicing 'Consumables' required to just get one started again. Then add in if you need sandblasting, paint, your time Etc. You would have to balance all that against a low price for an example needing restoration. Add on's, like the SA80 carrying box & a pair of paniers will set you back a bit if they dont come with the bike as well. Paniers =£100 plus £15 carriage, Gun box £35-£50 plus postage Etc. It all starts to get a little bit expensive then! These bikes seem to have a good following & an excellnet reputaion for reliablity & sturdiness of design. Thier following will only increase, as will the Price for a good one!...;) Good Hunting Andy!

The two bikes that were started were Lots 22 and 32, I couldn't remember the other lot number that started. The bikes with the best compression also seemed to be those bikes along with ex military police bikes lots 81, 82 and 83. One of the police bikes had the fuel tank cap seized in place but it also seemed to be full of something water / petrol or both?

I suspect that Mike is right in that the bikes will only go up in value but for me that high starting bid left no room for manoeuvre or any chance of making any money on them in the short term.

Edited by ferrettkitt
pulled the min bid price for the lots