Green "SAS" Windproofs

wdbikemad

They DO exist !!! Today, I found a NOS pair of green windproof gaberdine old-style "SAS" windproof trousers in a Size 4.......thus confirming that a matching smock must have existed.....

Label states "Trousers, Windproof, CM - 8405-99-122-1878 - Size 4 - (then measurements) - BMC - A/78/CLO/28153/DC69(2)"...........

They are identical in style to the wartime denim, white, sand and cammo windproof trousers plus the recently-discovered DPM 63-pattern windproof trousers complete with single left-leg map pocket, reinforced knees and arse, ankle tabs, side pockets and drawcord waist (the cord the same as 1960 pattern combat smocks)....label is white and sewn into the upper-inner rear...........material is olive-green windproof cotton-gaberdine.....

A check of my NSN's shows the DPM 63 pattern smock to run from size 1 to 9 and with NSN 8405 99 122 1866 to 1874, with the trousers following from size 1 to 9 and with NSN 8405 99 122 1875 to 1883........

However, these size 4 green trousers carry the same NSN as the later DPM size 4 63 pattern trousers......

So....I think we can safely assume that the 63 pattern windproof smocks and trousers were initially made in olive green cotton gaberdine from roughly 1965 to 1970-71 and then changed to DPM cotton-sateen in production up to obsolesence in 1975, retaining the same NSN as the green garments.......unusual but not unheard of........

Also of note is the "CM" designation also used for arctic clothing, combat caps, etc, rather than the "CG" designation used for most combat clothing.......

And at £20 I'm not complaining....!!

Edited by wdbikemad

Winning the lottery may be easier......

You may be right! I have never even seen pictures of this kit let alone the real deal. The trousers you have Steve must be up there with the rarest of the rare...

A few photos would be good at some point Steve!

You may be right! I have never even seen pictures of this kit let alone the real deal. The trousers you have Steve must be up there with the rarest of the rare...

A few photos would be good at some point Steve!

I promise to post some Jason ! Give me time !!!

Thanks. I'll try to get some better ones done after my upcoming holiday. It (and many other bits that survived my cull a couple of years ago) have all sat in my attic since that photo was taken in 2009.

Cheers, Dave

Great images Dave, thank you ! And welcome to the Forum !!! We have a "Mexican Stand-off".....you want my strides and I want your smock !!!!!!!

This proves that the 63 pattern windproof first appeared in green and thereafter in DPM........I wonder why they didn't continue with the windproof cotton-gaberdine fabric though in the DPM version ? This didn't reappear until the mid-1970's when the new model SAS smock and trousers were introduced...??

:D Mexican standoff indeed.

I know the DPM 63 patt had no trousers. The old cross-over og's were used.

Interesting isn't it ?! :D

Dave

Dave - see this thread on the subject of DPM 63 pattern trousers. Could be a similar 'regimental tailor' incarnation but does get you thinking!

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?24738-1963-Pattern-Windproof-Trousers....!&highlight=1963+pattern

Edited by Eaglehurst
blody spelin

WOW !! Thanks for that link Jason. I would never have guessed . The cotton modal is so damn heavy dry - let alone wet - that a pair of overtrousers would need braces and then some to keep them up !

Both the green and DPM versions of the full-zip 63 pattern windproof suit were "official".....eg: ordered under official MoD contracts and allocated NSN's......most DPM windproof smocks carry the "A/78 etc" contract number, as do my recently acquired green trousers........

Privately-purchased items rarely feature any such references......

By the way, thanks for the book plug Dave !!