1963 Pattern Windproof Trousers....!

Eaglehurst

I recall on here a thread discussing opinions of what would be the most rare item of issue clothing. The supposition was that if there was a pair of 1963 Pattern Windproof Trousers they may well qualify for 1st place....

Well I found this thread earlier today on another forum....still not 100% convinced but I am 110% intrigued!!

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t4658-rare-63-pattern-dpm-windproof-smock

I recall on here a thread discussing opinions of what would be the most rare item of issue clothing. The supposition was that if there was a pair of 1963 Pattern Windproof Trousers they may well qualify for 1st place....

Well I found this thread earlier today on another forum....still not 100% convinced but I am 110% intrigued!!

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t4658-rare-63-pattern-dpm-windproof-smock

Well, they look pretty real to me !!! I guess that concludes the issue....they did exist and the odd pair survives.......

The '63 pattern windproof was made in cotton gaberdine in the old wartime cammo pattern plus olive green.....so trousers for these were likely also made.....The '63 pattern refers to the full-zip modification rather than the actual cammo colouring, in much the same way as the 1959 pattern Denison smock with full length zipper......

During 1970-71 when DPM cammo was formally introduced the '63 pattern windproof suit was made from the newer DPM cloth but the actual design remained unaltered....

Another interesting point is that the garments were made from the heavyweight DPM cotton sateen fabric as used in the 1960 and 1968 pattern general service combat suits rather than the lightweight windproof cotton gaberdine employed in later windproof smocks and trousers.....

The '63 pattern suit in DPM lasted in production until about 1975 - 76 when replaced by the redesigned DPM gaberdine windproof smock and trousers....although could still be seen in use by some old-sweat SAS and RM until the early 1980's.........

Made from Size 1 to Size 9...and "Special" for those odd-shaped individuals.....:)

Steve - I have never seen or even heard of the 63 pattern in olive green. Do you have any photos of an example?

At least in my experience this would be rarer than the DPM version!

I have only seen one example in the flesh.....labelled as "1963 pattern" and a distinct olive green colour....being worn at a MV event by a SAS re-enactor with a great display of original kit......it was original too, not a copy......although was made from windproof cotton gaberdine rather than cotton sateen found on the DPM version.....

I've also seen a couple of green versions being worn in original SAS photo's from the late-1960s and early 1970's........definately a rare version...