12v Jeep headlight replacement

Nickmow

Hi all,

my jeep came with Odd headlights, They are 12v Sealed beam units but dont appear to have

Main and Dipped filaments. Certainly the wires seem to be absent. Is there an off the shelf replacement I can get ? I found some in the states on the interweb but would rather get em from the UK.

(Are main and dipped a legal requirement on an old vehicle in the first place ??)

cheers all Nick

Jeep parts are all out :cry:. Looking at it, is there a suitable stand in, ie off the shelf 12v unit.

Im looking at it and guessing its a 5 3/4 inch. Actually think Im answering my own question here. Will shoot off to autoparts with unit in hand and see what they have to offer.

will update for reference

• 1 month later...

if you look around you can pick up British units capable of taking side lights ( motorcycle ?) this would allow you to keep your blackout lights as per original, instead of converting them to side lights as many do.. also the pattern on glass on british shells means the headights will dip to the left as per English mot requirements. you can fix butler sidelights discreetly ( under front edge of wings ?) as indicators with a little modification of electrics including in line fuse...cheers, Mike

Thanks Panelvan, I solved the issue by getting a pair of Headlight units off e-bay. Fit nicely in the Headlight cups (is that the right word ?) and I now have working dip and main and they point in roughly the right direction, and I can chaneg the bulbs if they ever go. Im at work now but will get a link to the chap I got them off.

thanks again

Nick

• 2 weeks later...