M35A3 Stuck Oil and Fuel Filters on CAT 3116 Engine

glcaines

I finally got around to changing the oil in my M35A3 today as well as the fuel filter. The oil was obviously fresh when I picked up the truck from the U.S. Army, so I wan't in too much of a hurry. I used John Deere Plus 50 II oil (15W-40W) and Caterpillar brand filters. When removing the oil filter I needed a three foot lever to turn the old filter. Someone really overdid it in the Army. Oil and fuel filters are supposed to be hand tightened to seal contact and then turned another 3/4 turn. I found it interesting that the oil in the M35A3 was synthetic. I didn't think the U.S. Army was using synthetic oil, but apparently they are.

Next I tackled the fuel filter. It was so tight, I twisted the old CAT filter like a piece of taffy before it finally broke loose. I was really concerned that I would break the mount. I also had to clean out the drain valve on the bottom of the water separator with a piece of welding rod before I could drain the fuel from the filter. it was plugged solid with crud.

When I picked up the truck from the Army, I drove it home 1076 miles, so any fuel in the tank was burned up. After I got it home, and more driving, I ran the tank almost dry. Looking in the tank revealed that it was extremely clean. Every other military fuel tank I've looked in was loaded with crud and/or corrosion and had to be cleaned. I was lucky with this truck.