Guy Ant pictures please?

TooTallMike

Help requested!

We have a family friend who is a D-day veteran. He has recently been coming out of his shell about the Wartime experiences he suppressed for the last 60 years. Among many other fascinating and harrowing stories he recalls driving a Guy Ant and would love to see a picture of one. I've been through my books, magazines and Google and couldn't find anything that 80-year old eyes will be able to decipher. Does anyone have any pictures they could share?

Many thanks in advance - Mike

I wondered about that. We'll have to gauge whether he's ready for it.

It's very interesting as he's suddenly appreciating what he took part in. At the time it was just 'something which had to be done' and then he went back to his civy life and tried to forget the horror.

I don't want to push him, he needs to do this at his own speed. My father knows him better so I'll see what he thinks. I'm sure I could find a Morris Commercial or similar which would help jog his memory even if it wasn't exactly the right thing.

He was in raptures when I plonked the Ward Lafrance outside his house on my test run a couple of years ago so we'll see. Clearly the last thing I want to do is upset him.

It's funny how smells and noises - as much, if not more than sight, can trigger memories like that. Two or three years ago I took a day trip to Duxford just to look around, no show or anything on, paid for my ticket and walked through into the hanger on autopilot whilst looking at the guide. The sounds and smells in there took me back over 30 years and for a moment I was walking into one of the hangars at RAF Lyneham ready for deployment. For a brief moment I could "hear" the voices of friends laughing and joking as we walked towards a C-130 - I turned totalk with them then reality kicked back in and I realized I'd been listening to voices of people some of whom had lost their lives in service.

Very emotionally upsetting and it took a couple of minutes to regain composure enough to carry. Must be even worse for those veterans of WW2.