Question about WW1 letter

dfmcf

I know this is a mv forum but I thought someone might be able to help me. I have a letter that my Cdn. grandfather wrote to his uncle in WW1. It's from june 1917 and he is telling him about how they asked him to give an arm to arm blood transfusion to a wounded soldier (while in hospital in London). It's quite interesting and descripitive and ended up having 3 stitches in his wrist afterwards. The great thing is he talks about the hospital, ward and then his army #.

I have done searches on the blood transfusion in WW1 and would like to find out more on this but don't know if anyone keeps records from WW1. I have a feeling he was one of the first to give in WW1 but can't verify it.

I know this is a mv forum but I thought someone might be able to help me. I have a letter that my Cdn. grandfather wrote to his uncle in WW1. It's from june 1917 and he is telling him about how they asked him to give an arm to arm blood transfusion to a wounded soldier (while in hospital in London). It's quite interesting and descripitive and ended up having 3 stitches in his wrist afterwards. The great thing is he talks about the hospital, ward and then his army #.

I have done searches on the blood transfusion in WW1 and would like to find out more on this but don't know if anyone keeps records from WW1. I have a feeling he was one of the first to give in WW1 but can't verify it.

If you read Dracula by Bram Stoker (the original, not anything derived from films or sequels) ISTR there is some quite detailed stuff about arm to arm blood transfusions when they were in Scarborough (well-known vampire country!) and some young woman kept having her blood drained.

I was surprised that blood transfusion went back so far and IIRC there was nothing to suggest that Stoker knew anything about blood groups

I was surprised that blood transfusion went back so far

It's mentioned in my encyclopaedia circa 1850. It refers to the transfusion of blood "from those of a man or one of the lower animals into a man, with the view of restoring the vigour of exhausted subjects.":shake:

Have you tried looking on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/