Greetings - MJ Parts/Info

albertamj

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions regarding the MJ. First, I need a signal flasher HELLA 4DM003944-04. Where would you suggest I could purchase a couple and have them shipped to Canada? Second, I need the emergency flasher switch that mounts on the dash. Finally (for now), did the military mount radios in MJ's? If so, does anyone have any mounting information?

I have attached pictures of my MJ in the photo Gallery under AlbertaMJ. Our trucks came from the British base in Suffield.

Darcy

Thanks for the parts source - I will contact them for the flasher unit.

As for the radio - I purchased a motor from another BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield), and there was a box type mount located on the rear deck between the seats. It looked to be about the size of the Clansman radios that I have seen. It was made out of the same checker plate metal that the step on the doghouse was made from. Maybe this was a BATUS thing?

Here's another question - has anyone tried to install TM tires on a MJ? I have some 395 x 20's kicking around.......

Here's another question - has anyone tried to install TM tires on a MJ? I have some 395 x 20's kicking around.......

Yes, I borrowed one and tried fitting it - problem is the TM rim offset (or lack of) causes the rim to foul the steering arms on the hubs, and if you sort that out with different rims the lock will have to be reduced somewhat to prevent tyres fouling drag link.

So special rims will be needed, and that's before you start worrying about clearance in wheel arches (I can't remember now how much of a problem that was).

I have seen one on 24" tyres, but no idea how they managed that. Operated by Rose Drainage of Kenton, Suffolk around 1990 if I remember correctly?

425/75R20s (common fitment on Unimogs) will fit well with the right rim offset and are brilliant in horrible conditions, but they make the truck very w i d e !