Fox knocking at full lock

markbg

Hi

Did a final test run today before driving dow

n to war and peace show and found that at full lock turning right theres a banging sound with vibratins coming from the front left side of the vehicle - its like rhe steering was kicking ahainst yhe side wall of the chassis - there seems to be some oil leaking down as well - any ideas what might be causing the banging? it pnly happens at full lock on the steering?

otherwise all ok - hope ill see some of you down there :)

Hi

Did a final test run today before driving dow

n to war and peace show and found that at full lock turning right theres a banging sound with vibratins coming from the front left side of the vehicle - its like rhe steering was kicking ahainst yhe side wall of the chassis - there seems to be some oil leaking down as well - any ideas what might be causing the banging? it pnly happens at full lock on the steering?

otherwise all ok - hope ill see some of you down there :)

Hi Mark,

That will be a tracta joint that has friction welded at some point. What happens is that on the normal straight ahead position, there has been a a point on the tracta fork and tracta knuckle that has friction welded, transfering metal form one to another, leaving a pimple and a hole, when on hard lock the joint is running out of line so the pimple is jamming in its articulation. Normally, these can be stripped and polished off, the hole, if not to large, is a slight asset as it retain a bit of oil. Damage to tracta housing (challis) can result from all this knocking and it could already have happened if you are loosing oil. Visually check the challis, inner and outer, to back sure they have not broken at the neck. If you are not sure, I am talking about the polished spherical housing where it joins the tubular flanged part.

Hi Mark,

That will be a tracta joint that has friction welded at some point. What happens is that on the normal straight ahead position, there has been a a point on the tracta fork and tracta knuckle that has friction welded, transfering metal form one to another, leaving a pimple and a hole, when on hard lock the joint is running out of line so the pimple is jamming in its articulation. Normally, these can be stripped and polished off, the hole, if not to large, is a slight asset as it retain a bit of oil. Damage to tracta housing (challis) can result from all this knocking and it could already have happened if you are loosing oil. Visually check the challis, inner and outer, to back sure they have not broken at the neck. If you are not sure, I am talking about the polished spherical housing where it joins the tubular flanged part.

Thanks Ill have a look about tomorrow its just started happening so hopefully not too much damage done

Hi

I can fill up the bleed nipples wirh ep90 is there anywhere else to top up oil - bevel boxes?I assume these must be inside the hull though as I cant see them in the wheel recess area?

Ive had a look at the steering link and that looks all ok as far as i can see

Richard - im assuming the spherical housing and tubular part is in the wheel bay? not inside the hull?

cheers

Mark B

Hi

I can fill up the bleed nipples wirh ep90 is there anywhere else to top up oil - bevel boxes?I assume these must be inside the hull though as I cant see them in the wheel recess area?

Ive had a look at the steering link and that looks all ok as far as i can see

Richard - im assuming the spherical housing and tubular part is in the wheel bay? not inside the hull?

Mark,

I realise you are not familiar with the layout, the spherical housings are under the rubber bellows gaiter between the wishbones ( in wheel bay). I might be wise to set the steering on the lock you are getting the knocking from, jack both wheels on that side, clear of the ground and turn this wheel, putting your hand on the gaiter to feel the tube underneath. If you feel the tube moving, or jumping as you turn through the notchy bit, then the worst has happened. Where is the oil coming from, out of the gaiter?

As for filling the bevel box / inner tracta, some Fox were modified to have a filler tube come through to the top of the hull. Level plugs are on the side of the bevel box/inner tracta housing, where it comes through the hull in the wheel bay. If you have the EMER's for the Fox, you should study these and familairise yourself with all this and make sure all lvels are correct, before using it.

regards, Richard