WW1 Vehicles and artillery at IWM Duxford

Rlangham

res1.jpg

7.7cm FK16, one of a number of interesting WW1 German artillery pieces collected in a small corner

res2.jpg

40hp 'Protected' Simplex armoured petrol powered locomotive for use on the 2 foot War Department Light Railway

res3.jpg

Railhead

res4.jpg

FWD (Four Wheel Drive) Model B three ton lorry, built in the USA but used by the British Army

res5.jpg

res6.jpg

FWD Model B with the 6 inch 30 cwt Howitzer - one of the main uses for the FWD Model B in the British Army was as the towing vehicle for the 6 inch 30 cwt, and the later 6 inch 26 cwt Howitzer

res7.jpg

res8.jpg

res9.jpg

13 pounder limber from L Battery at Nery - the battered 13 pounder from the same action is at the IWM Lambeth

res10.jpg

GS Wagon Mk X minus the seat

res11.jpg

Fiat 15 TER light truck, Italian but used by the British Army in Italy

res12.jpg

20hp 'Open' Simplex petrol powered locomotive for the WDLR

res13.jpg

British 4.5 Inch Howitzer

res14.jpg

American M1917 75mm field gun, based on the British 18 pounder

• 1 month later...

Some additional info. on two of the vehicles illustrated. The FWD originally came out of a yard at Canning Town in about 1961. Wynns Heavy Haulage at Newport had it for awhile and it took part in their 100 years celebrations about 1965 , later it passed to Jack Hardwick & Sons at West Ewell , I bought it from them when thay had decided to retire and clear the yard in 1984, It was always a good runner and I sold it to the IWM in about 1987. The other lorry is the Fiat 15TER, this I bought from Melton Mowbary in 1976 where it had been stored in a shed for many years and still comp[lete with originally g.s. bodywork etc.. It was completely restored in my workshops ,took part in many events and promotions for Iveco Truck being at two Commercial Motor Shows and at their 25 years celebrations at Turin. I sold it to the IWM in the late 1990s. Again a good strong runner and easy to drive, must have been a great advantage over many other vehicles in WW1.

Regards,

Richard Peskett.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know where I might find information on when and how many Lancia trucks the British Army acquired in WW1. I gather that Fiat supplied chassis direct to the British Army and I'd like to find out the details of any orders for Lancia trucks. There seem to have many of these available after WW1 in the UK as Army surplus.

Duxford? Tank Museum? Imperial War Museum? National Archives? A branch of the British Army?

Any leads welcome.

Paul Mayo