12x12 tent

LoggyDriver

Question

Just took delivery of a 12x12 tent. The tent came with cap ends for the poles and two straps that hold them together. I thought that these were supposed to be in a canvas bag, is this right?

Is it best to fit the sides and leave them connected or do you have to lace them up each time you put it up? It's been years since i put one up and have forgotten how we did it. In the manual it says you need 4 men to put it up so that you don't bend the poles, well there is only me and the other half so can it be done with two people without damaging the poles? Help??:confused:

8 answers to this question

I've got a pole bag that straps the poles in first and then wraps up like a valise but I've seen them as you describe as well. I've decided to leave the ends laced on from now on. It makes for a larger lump but the embuggeration of lacing them up if conditions warrant isn't worth it, and you still have to take them with you anyway. Also, as you say about manpower, the more the merrier so a large canvas etc isn't so difficult if the bodies are there anyway to help drag it out and put it up. Agree with needing more than a couple of people, I bent one knuckle when I got it wrong recently, it repaired easily enough but it only happened because I got it wrong. Even if you co-opt others or passers by on the day, a quick brief will help and choosing one body (probably you) to call the shots will make for a prompt setup. I've not done it enough yet to be able to say what works the best so for now I'm finding that we still try to put it up by consensus :)

It's like 9x9's, really should be done alone but if it's windy or you feel obliging, it's always easier to offer help if the owner is happy to lead and call the lifts and folds etc when putting up or packing away :)

I've got a pole bag that straps the poles in first and then wraps up like a valise but I've seen them as you describe as well. I've decided to leave the ends laced on from now on. It makes for a larger lump but the embuggeration of lacing them up if conditions warrant isn't worth it, and you still have to take them with you anyway. Also, as you say about manpower, the more the merrier so a large canvas etc isn't so difficult if the bodies are there anyway to help drag it out and put it up. Agree with needing more than a couple of people, I bent one knuckle when I got it wrong recently, it repaired easily enough but it only happened because I got it wrong. Even if you co-opt others or passers by on the day, a quick brief will help and choosing one body (probably you) to call the shots will make for a prompt setup. I've not done it enough yet to be able to say what works the best so for now I'm finding that we still try to put it up by consensus :)

It's like 9x9's, really should be done alone but if it's windy or you feel obliging, it's always easier to offer help if the owner is happy to lead and call the lifts and folds etc when putting up or packing away :)

Thanks for that mate,

How long did you take putting it up? We had a quick look at it tonight (didn't arrive until 18.00) and I think I've figured out the 1st part of the lacing up at the apex, but who knows until it's being put up for real.

It also came with two 12x12 valise. One had the roof and mid section, the other had all the pegs, wooden mallet (thought it was supposed to be a small sledge?) storm lashings, some strap things, and the ends. One of the ends looks like you can put a 9x9 onto it?

I would like to get a proper bag for the poles, if anyone knows who has one?

Cheers

Hi Loggy,

As a former canvas tech (RAMC hospital!)

i have plenty of experience when it comes to canvas!

The 12x12 never came with a pole bag like the 9x9 long one.

Instead it comes with "elephants feet" joined with two thin straps.

As for lacing etc, it's beter to leave the ends laced on but only at the roof (if that makes sence)

then lace the sides when you've got it up (ooh er!)

The 12x12 can be easily put up by two folk, make the roof frame, put the canvas on top, unroll it so it stays there then put the legs in, one side at a time, fold down sides, lace up.

the end.

12x12's came with a variety of ends: blank, corridor or penthouse.

The storm lashings go over the angles so as to give max strength, and are secured with those long lashings with the squigly ends, in a sort of ratchet windy fashion.

As for mallets you need the blocky one held together with rivits, its about 18" long.

Any more info needed, give us a shout.

cheers

M

Hi Loggy,

As a former canvas tech (RAMC hospital!)

i have plenty of experience when it comes to canvas!

The 12x12 never came with a pole bag like the 9x9 long one.

Instead it comes with "elephants feet" joined with two thin straps.

As for lacing etc, it's beter to leave the ends laced on but only at the roof (if that makes sence)

then lace the sides when you've got it up (ooh er!)

The 12x12 can be easily put up by two folk, make the roof frame, put the canvas on top, unroll it so it stays there then put the legs in, one side at a time, fold down sides, lace up.

the end.

12x12's came with a variety of ends: blank, corridor or penthouse.

The storm lashings go over the angles so as to give max strength, and are secured with those long lashings with the squigly ends, in a sort of ratchet windy fashion.

As for mallets you need the blocky one held together with rivits, its about 18" long.

Any more info needed, give us a shout.

cheers

M

M,

Thanks very much mate, your a star.

I've got the "elephants" feet type pole retainer. I've also got a brand new mallet that's also the blocky one with the rivits you described.

The poles are brand new (well not used anyway). Amanda bought a "Super" grade MK1 tent, and the roof and side section does look brand new. One of the sides has got a section where you can lace up what looks like a doorway (the same sort of size as a 9x9) into the 12x12 side section. The doorway is like a MK2 zipped door except it's toggles that do it up not zips, but it looks the same as in you can roll up the canvas to make a doorway. The other side is a normal triangle type setup. However this end has a hole in it and Anchor are sending out another end for it and said we can keep the one we have as a spare.

The confusing bit is at the very top where you start lacing up the sides, there is a lot of thin flap type arrangements. I think I've got it sussed but might take some pictures and put on here.

Thanks for your help, I feel I will be requiring your services again though...:blush::shocked::cool2::-D

Well me and the missus put up the 12x12 today to see how it would go. It was surprisingly stress free and went up in about an hour. I will leave the sides laced up to the eves to make it easier and quicker to put up at the next show.

Here are some pictures.:D

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg