Ford GTB - Stuck Steering?

Rumplecat

First time posting, hopefully my photos will attached! I just purchased a GTB, Burma Jeep, I have at least four of the tires inflated and the truck will roll! I need to load it on my car hauler trailer for a 31 mile trip to my cabin and the beginning of it's restoration. However, the steering is not cooperating, it is stuck in a slight turn to the left, just enough to make it very difficult for me to get it on the trailer! I have oiled the various joints and poured some penetrating oil into the steering column via the small opening 8 to 10 inched below the steering wheel. I would rather free up the steering than disconnect it. I will be loading the truck by my self and steering is essential to making a good straight and balanced load on the trailer. Any help is appreciated.

James Gray

Springdale, Arkansas USA

PS: My wife has already strongly suggested having a flatbed wrecker move it for me. Doing the recovery is the start of a good restoration, and I do my own restorations!

PICT0598.jpg

PICT0887.jpg

PICT0889.jpg

Wow thats a great find, looks very complete with original parts, which is a good start with a GTB as finding the panels is a slow job, i know.

the best thing to do is find out where it is jammed, it takes a few minutes to disconnect the drag link, then you can see if its the steering box jammed or the front hubs, i suspect its the steering box if it has been outside for many years as water will work its way into the column via the centre of the steering wheel, possibly the top bush in the steering column has rusted solid? The steering should be very light on the GTB even when stationary (compared to other trucks of the period) but it needs a lot of turning to go full lock to full lock!

Keep us updated, i am about halfway through my GTB (chassis number 198483) if you come across any drivers seats i need one and a spare wheel mount.

heres mine as i got her home.

good luck

Baz,

DSCF0502.jpg

Edited by RMS

Hi James

Nice to have a new member on the forum .With a GTB that will be restored .Looks like you have most of the parts that go missing (GAS TANK SPARE WHEEL CARIRER DRIVERS SEAT ) .As Bas said the steering is as good as power steering . But a lot of turns of wheel to turn the truck on full lock . Plenty of grease & oil in everything that should move . Jack up front end work steering should work lose .T CORBIN

This one restored in 2007

HALL FARM COLLECTION 005.jpg

Thanks for the info. guys, I will jack the front in up and see if I can get to the steering box, the two major parts I am missing are the wind shield and the passengers seat. I know where I can find a windshield, is there an aftermarket source or a modification to a 1/4 ton jeep seat that will do? A couple of years ago I drove by the GTB below, but at the time I didn't need a parts vehicle, now I am having a hard time find it again! Baz, if I do find her there will be a spare drivers seat, but shipping from Arkansas will be a killer!

James

117.jpg

123.jpg

115.jpg

Well it was 91 degrees and sitting in the afternoon sun so I didn't have time to monkey with the steering so I just disconnected the steering and the old GTB rolled right up on the car hauler flat rear tires and all. Made an uneventful 31 mile country highway trip to my cabin where she will sit until I can assemble the missing parts and start the restoration. Thanks for all the info. I will be working on the steering soon since I don't like to leave things apart for long since those small parts do wander off!

James

PICT0900.jpg

PICT0923.jpg

PICT0699.jpg

PICT0897.jpg

PICT0917.jpg

PICT0700.jpg