MJ register

What tax class would a 1985 Bedford MJ be? and what would it be register as PLG or ? it is downrated to 7.5 tons.

I am thinking of buying one and it will need to be registered,mot,plated ect, just trying to work out the costs involed. I have read the plating costs are between £13- 50+,road tax £120-800 and MOT/HGV test £34- 500 + on diffrent pages on the internet its confussing whats is real, the govement pages are just confussing Any tips information would be usefull.

Alec:confused:

What tax class would a 1985 Bedford MJ be? and what would it be register as PLG or ? it is downrated to 7.5 tons.

I am thinking of buying one and it will need to be registered,mot,plated ect, just trying to work out the costs involed. I have read the plating costs are between £13- 50+,road tax £120-800 and MOT/HGV test £34- 500 + on diffrent pages on the internet its confussing whats is real, the govement pages are just confussing Any tips information would be usefull.

Alec:confused:

It all depends on what you are going to use it for. If it's for private use then it will be taxed as a Private HGV and the cost of this is £165 for 12 months. This is the same price whether it's de-rated or not.

Registration is £55. Don't know what they charge for plating.

The current test fee is £75 for a two axle rigid.

Don't forget £500-800 for fitting a side and rear impact bar kit - you'll need one to pass the MOT. Ours comes no lower than the existing fixtures and fittings on the chassis so shouldn't impact cross-country ability.

Stone

Don't forget £500-800 for fitting a side and rear impact bar kit - you'll need one to pass the MOT. Ours comes no lower than the existing fixtures and fittings on the chassis so shouldn't impact cross-country ability.

Stone

Yes this work has been done by the present owner but it has not been mot tested yet

Al

• 1 month later...

i'm trying right now to get one prepared for MOT and will go down the path of private HGV. does anyone know the spec of the side and rear under run bars? i need to give my garage some pointers. if you know the phone number of a garage that has already done this work on a MJ that would be really helpful. i'm in manchester but hopefully i can get the two garages to talk to each other.

cheers, paddy wagon.

protruck services in lincoln (?) and recommended by someone on this forum, have quoted £750 for a underrun and side bar protection kit, gettin that to manchester or fitting not included. i'm sure that the standard kits are cheaper but clive says they sometimes need adjustments, ie, the spare wheel needs moving a bit to make space, and the towhitch at the back can be impeded by a standard kit, these ones are made specifically for an MJ.... does anyone know if standard kits can have these problems or if this price is reasonable?