wheres La noblette

brian in denver

• 8 months later...

There seems to be lots on Google about it, but not a specific location.

This is the best I've found so far..http://www.scribd.com/doc/37880217/The-Lafayette-Escadrille

On page 12 of the site is a map of France showing "L'Escadrille Americane" with La Noblette listed .

Google maps shows "La Noblette France" as being here.. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=la+noblette&sll=49.353756,4.482422&sspn=1.94656,4.224243&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=La+Noblette&ll=49.061382,4.457359&spn=0.06119,0.197067&t=h&z=13

There appears to be an unusually long straight field to the left of the "A" symbol, on the left side of the D977 road. Could that be the airfield?

• 3 weeks later...

You could try looking slightly north west of the location given by Johnny. Google Earth is as good a search tool as you are going to get. Not under the name La Noblette, but Camp Chalon or Camp Mourmelon (Mourmelon Le Grand is the nearest town) -same base but just different names is a large french Military training area. Been there since 1857, there is info on Wiki about it. My suggestion is that being in such close proximity La Noblette may well have been part of the same during its existence. But this is just pure speculation on my part. The GE imagery is deliberately soft focus no doubt at the French Governments request/insistence so you wont find it very easy to find any traces. A contact of mine who has access to better definition data tells me there possibly, just possibly, are traces of things which suggest maybe more than one old airstrip having been part of the complex. That is not to say conclusively that it is the correct site though. If the French 'mod' follow the same pattern as the British then it is reasonable to assume that some land that was a military site is likely still military owned, yes?

Even on GE it is interesting to note the pattern of filled in WW1 style trench systems!

mourmelon1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...