Budge Collection

simonsfotos

Question

Having just read an article on the Budge Collection in the current issue of MMI, what was the reason that the collection was disposed of. Being only into MVs for a year now, this was the first time that I'd heard of this incredible collection.

5 answers to this question

simonsfotos

Having just read an article on the Budge Collection in the current issue of MMI, what was the reason that the collection was disposed of. Being only into MVs for a year now, this was the first time that I'd heard of this incredible collection.

If you use the search facility at the right top side of screen -write in A.F. Budge and you'll get quite a few references to the Budge collection (In brief it went into administration ie went bust in 1996).

regards

Steve

Budge's Open Days were legendary, I went in 1989.

Financial i believe. Very sad end, but an incredible collection and without Mr Budge a lot of this would have been scrapped or at least never restored.

I'd heard that a lot of stuff got sold in the late eighties to raise cash to help his brother Richard Budge buy up the U.K. coal mines. I don't think the second part of the deal happened. Something to do with Thatcher and Scargill between them all but destroying the industry.