Visit to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst 22nd OCTOBER

Hi All

this looks like a lot of fun

Vehicle Run and Visit to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst and REME Armorfield. A rare opportunity to drive your MV’s through the extensive training areas around the Academy to be followed by a tour of the Old College Building. In the afternoon there is a visit to Arborfield. The run is suitable to all vehicles except tracked and artics. Contact Peter Davies 01252-329557 or helenpeter@droskyn.freeserve.co.uk 22/10/06

i will re post this later with more info

steve

UPDATE

Steve

The response to this event has been immediate and almost filled all the places.

Details

Following a recent visit to The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, I approached The Chief of Staff. Major General Pearson asking if it would be possible for a number of military vehicle owners and their vehicles to visit the RMA in October, I received the go ahead this morning.

The visit would be similar to that made some 5 years ago by members of the MVT Surrey & Hants group. We would assemble at the gate around 10.00hrs move to the NAAFI for a cup of tea and then depart in our vehicles for a tour of the training grounds followed by a guided tour of the college interior.We would then move on to REME Arbourfield (10 miles) to visit their museum and collection of vehicles.

The RMA training area covers over a thousand acres of rolling heath and woodland, the soil is well drained and sandy. The drive is around the perimeter on single track dirt roads. These roads provide an enjoyable off road experience climbing up hills and down through valleys however they are not sufficiently severe as to cause the vehicles to overheat, receive body damaged or smother the vehicles in mud and grime. Large rigid vehicles use these tracks regularly and two wheel drive is adequate.The drive usually takes 45 min to an hour plus the time taken on photo stops etc.

The tour of the college buildings and campus provides an interesting chance to appreciate what our Army has done in the past and see where our officers are trained today.Many of the buildings were built before Queen Victoria came to the throne and are quite spectacular.

We will depart from the RMA around midday and travel west crossing the WW2 Hartford Bridge Flats airfield now known as Blackbush airfield to The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Museum at Arbourfield, here we will be able to visit the museum and its collection of vehicles.

If you have an interest in coming along in your military vehicle (with passengers) please let me know of your interest and I will then forward an entry form. I will need to provide the college with details of vehicles passengers etc .

Please feel free to mention this unusual and rare event to other MV owners.

If the form does not work for you I need Names of driver and passengers vehicle type, reg no address.

All the best Peter

Contact Peter Davies 01252-329557 or helenpeter@droskyn.freeserve.co.uk 22/10/06

Funnily enough - I did think of LPG when looking into buying one - but not being a toal idiot (contrary to popular opinion in certain quaters) asked the experts on the owners forum. And quickly got talked out of it on the basis of for it to be viable I'd need an LPG tank the size ofa SARO refuelling pack!!!

Let me talk to the wife mk 1 to make sure she's got nothing planned I've not been told about and if not then I'll take you up on the offer of a seat :-)