Anti-Aircraft web-site

ackack

I have set up a new web-site devoted to Anti-Aircraft.

It has a forum and various detailed articles about all aspects of anti-aircraft including guns, radar, searchlights and other related equipment. I require budding authors to submit articles and photos as I can't manage the site by myself.

If anyone is interested have a look at ;

http://www.anti-aircraft.co.uk

Alan Brock (webmaster)

a.k.a. ackack

Great Site.

I am pleased you have started an AA Gun web site as this is still a subject that has had very little coverage. I am also pleased you have found a Gun Laying radar trailer to restore. In a copy of Wheels and Tracks from c.1993 there were pictures of a couple of trailers left out to rot until that time, that were un-identified in the magazine. I subsequently discovered they were very early GL Mark 1 but by now I have no way of finding out where the photo was taken or what happenedto them. I will dig out the issues of W&T

I presume you have heard of the Defence Electronics History Society -

http://www.dehs.org.uk

DEHS has many members who worked on or used these GL radars (and every other type of radar too) and they can assist with technical details and photos.

I was interested in the Lister Generators by the way as I was a member of the British Army's last searchlight unit - 873 Movement Light Squadron RE (V) which used the pre-WW2 carbon arc 90cm Searchlights & Lister Generators for battlefield illumination. These 1935 built searchlights were used right up to the late 1970s using Bedford RLs as 'searchlight portees' with Lister in tow! Even when we got proper US built Xenon Searchlights & Land Rover Generator sets, we still kept the 90cm' s & Listers for cerimonial duties, such as lighting up Horseguards Parade, Buckingham Palace and Wembley Stadium to name a few.

Keep up the good work

Rlangham - I would appreciate very much some pictures of 3.7s in North Africa.

Larry - Yes, I am aware of dehs.org, they are very heplful.

Are you going to the MVT show at Kemble this weekend ?

There should be a 150cm searchlight belonging to the Garrison LHG. Its a superb restoration, and they use a Lister JP4 to power it !

Could you write an article on your experiences for the web-site ?