Museums, Runners or not

robin craig

Robin, That looks like an Ex Batus MKI Petrol 432, is it? It actually is in quite good condition from those pictures you posted. If it is still like that, it looks perfectly possible to get it running again if caught before any more deterioration sets in! It does not help NOT having the persicopes fitted into the turret. that WILL let rain Etc inside to run into places & begin rusting there also. I worked a on a lot of BATUS MkI's when I was on a Battlegroup attachment over in Canada. They took a hell of a beating over a year, being handed over every three months to a new incomming group flown in. They were rebuilt each year at around christmas time & into feb as they really did need overhauls from the battering they recieved over the rough terrain on the Training Area! These vehicle need to move around to keep the lubricants in bearings Etc run around to prevent seizing. A B80 Petrol engine variant would be a LOT easier to restore & get running than the later MK2 K60 Multi fuel variant. There are a lot less parts needed & the K60 is More complex! That would be a good investment for Public 'Rides' around the museum & generate more funding to keep it on the go. & also the possibility of providing more funding to restore other vehicles. they too could then earn thier keep & generate even more funding... worth approaching them with that idea? They DO like the thought of MONEY comming in!!.....:cool2:

I would like to do a museum with working machines...every day someone went to the place there would be machines moving in the yard or off road, with commentary about it...machines do need to be under cover... museums dont make much money but they can spend an awful lot, that's my experience so far...and all I have done is a bit of research to see how viable it is to open and run one, SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN KEEN ON FOR MANY YEARS...

You sound very keen to open a working attraction. Have you thought of having special events days during the summer. Something small to start off with. Have one or two days with moving objects, a couple of days open with static exhibits. Try to keep running costs down as obviously parts wear and tear, petrol cost mount up. Staff to do the job? You could be mercenary and get volunteers. If you become accredited then you could be a trainer for future museum staff. Also volunteers want time down for their C.V.'s. Be a centre for the MVT and get MVT members to show off their vehicles. (I have heard this is something the Tank Museum will be doing in the future to keep maintenance down on their own vehicles). You don't want your collection being broken up to pay for all the rubbish involved with running a museum.