Then and now

H1HU

Just been looking at the photos of the D-day beaches, link from another thread on HMVF, and I couldn't help but feel I recognised the aerial phot looking straight down on vehicles departing the beach. See if you agree.

It looks very much like Courseulle Gray Sur Mer to me. So going onto Google I have been cross checking the aerial shots and the similarities a striking. See what you think.

In the D-day picture there is a large triangular area of sand to the right of the track they are driving up, in the 'today' photo you can see where the vegetation has grown to cover that area. Small paths mark the outline. You can also see clearly where the Churchill tank stands today at the junction and again you can see that junction in the D-day picture. Plus you can see on both pictures where the memorial stands closer to the beach, by the left hand side of the track they are driving off the beach on.

Fascinating to see as the this was the beach my father landed on at 13.30 D-day +1.

H1HU

courseulle_today small.jpg

courseulles_d-day cropped.jpg