ww2 Flying Jacket

piercedbiker666

Hi, i'm looking for some help to identify & evaluate what i believe to be a ww2 flying jacket.

It has what i believe to be heating wires in the sleeves with a 2 prong plug about 6 inches up the sleeve with a heavy duty press stud below it about 2 inches up the sleeve.

It has 8 vent holes under each arm.

The zips have DOT on them with MADE IN ENGLAND around it in a circular manner.

On the label is..... The Crown with A.M. underneath it. Running beside the crown is the letters B.81864/40/C.I.D. With a small stitched in label (approx 5mm square) with a red 6. on it. The red 6 is larger than all the other numbers & the same size as the A.M.

What exactly is the significance of the numbers?

Many thanks in advance.

Mick.

Hi, i'm looking for some help to identify & evaluate what i believe to be a ww2 flying jacket.

It has what i believe to be heating wires in the sleeves with a 2 prong plug about 6 inches up the sleeve with a heavy duty press stud below it about 2 inches up the sleeve.

It has 8 vent holes under each arm.

The zips have DOT on them with MADE IN ENGLAND around it in a circular manner.

On the label is..... The Crown with A.M. underneath it. Running beside the crown is the letters B.81864/40/C.I.D. With a small stitched in label (approx 5mm square) with a red 6. on it. The red 6 is larger than all the other numbers & the same size as the A.M.

What exactly is the significance of the numbers?

Many thanks in advance.

Mick.

It sounds like a wareing jacket - an electrically heated sheepshin jacket worn by aircrew in WW2. cant be really specific, but the numbers are most likely 'stores reference numbers'.

The jackets were part of a complete suit that included trousers and gloves, boots etc, the sleeves had a female socket that plugged into a male on the gloves, the whole suit completed the circuit and was like wearing a sheepskin electric blanket.

The yanks used a 'baby blue sleeper' like a childs romper suit with the wires in - even had a 'crap flap' at the back.

they also had a two piece kahki suit thjat joined together at the waist - all had add on gloves and boots all in 24v.

British wareing jackets are quite rate - more so than regular jackets.

Edited by mark m uk