Help for Heroes, floating an idea

Adam Elsdon

I have been harbouring a thought to do something a bit more epic to raise money for Help for Heroes, i have been collecting for the last year, but think i could do alot better! now if you could please stick with this, and give me your thoughts, any suggestions and ideas to further such an event would be much appreciated.

What started it was reading about a rally, the website is :

www.h4hrally.co.uk

To cut it short, it is a number of teams that pay entrance to drive around the wartime sites of Europe following the D-Day invasion routes and ending in Berchtesgaden, Hitlers eagles nest.

I like it!! however when i started thinking it through, i could never manage it, time/money and other issues, also i would like to use my own Military vehicle, that alone would cost serious money, and then there is the reliability issues, what if it breaks down.......and the list goes on.

Then there was the reason why i would be doing it in the first place, none of those problems help raising money for H4H, so why worry about them.

So my plan is this, organise a Military vehicle charity driving event that encompasses the British isles, but doesnt require individuals to lose a big chunk of their time and personal wealth! keep it in country where the charity is well known, and keep it simple and fun, it shouldnt have a weight of historic importance dragging it down.

A military vehicle "Relay Run" passing an object for example a Teddy from one MV group to another group between towns and cities, raising money on the way, individuals can drive as far as they feel they can manage, at each Rendesvous Point, meet up with the next custodian of the Teddy bear, while the teams are waiting, they can rattle a tin and raise money, the team that hands over can then carry on that money raising. Take in town centres on the way make a spectacle of it and raise money on the way through. ANY type of military vehicle is eligible, and that includes boats and planes. It is in no way a race, almost the opposite.

It should encompass all MV groups up and down the country, they can use it to promote the MV club if they like, and i would envisage it taking a number of weeks to complete, the teddy/object could then be raffled, after accumulating a large amount of miles and vehicle types in its "Logbook".

So what do you think, any tweeks that would help it flow, or keep it easy and cheap to work, please let me know!!:idea: