Armed Dodges

Joris

Just now I''ve found a WWII photo on the internet of an armed Dodge WC51/52. I was wondering if anybody has more photo's of armed Dodges? It would be sweet to put a .50 on the Dodge :)

In Holland you need to prove that a vehicle actually was armed before you can apply for a weapons licence.

orig00000846.jpg

orig00000847.jpg

orig00000848.jpg

Guest matt

Dodge WC's were indeed armed and there was a specific mount for the 30/50 machine gun,although I'll have to check on the model number.

WC-55's of course had the 37mm cannon but they were never used in the ETO.

Matt.

WC-55's of course had the 37mm cannon but they were never used in the ETO.

Matt, could you expand a little on that. I think Boniface claims that M6's were supplied to all theatres, and to the ETO for use by Tank Destroyer Bn's. I know thats not the same as "used in",... So what happened?

Guest matt
Matt, could you expand a little on that. I think Boniface claims that M6's were supplied to all theatres, and to the ETO for use by Tank Destroyer Bn's. I know thats not the same as "used in",... So what happened?

I can't remember where I read it :oops: but I read somewhere that the WC's were found to be an un-suitable platform for the 37mm and most were converted to WC-52's before the end of WW2,IF they were used in the ETO I have no idea which units had them and I have never seen any pics of them in europe. many WC-55's were supplied to Norway after the war and that is probably why quite a few survive.

Matt.

I think it was only the WC55 that had the 37mm gun and then had them removed later to revert back to WC52's (or closest equivalent, that being the 3/4 ton pick up with winch). The 55's were reinforced round the body & chassis to cope with recoil of the 37mm leaping around in the back of it! I don't think the Norwegian army took any 55's complete with guns as they were stripped of them by the US army as far as i know well before the end of the war. I know of only one 55 with its gun (& i think that has been re-made). Lloyd who is on here occasionally had a lovey 55 but don't mention it you'll make 'im go all bleary eyed :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.................................................... :cry:

actually there are 2 or 3 pics of Dodges armed with 30 and or 50 cal mounts the most famous one being of an M36 ring mount mounted on one over the passenger seat by a 3rd armored Field artillery regiment Dodge...WC

also dont beleive all you read regarding the WC55 a very "few" were used post DDay in the ETO and Italy and even more unmodified ones were used by the USMC in the pacific against the lightly armed Japenese tanks as late as 1944.

Yes thanks Bodge....my "55" was the 98th one off the production line and still retained most of its early features......:-(

but she is still in this country and still going STRONG.....:-)

Regards

Me