First MV

Rlangham

After many years of drooling over other peoples military vehicles, in a year or so I should, hopefully, have the money to afford my own military vehicle. What would you lot reccomend as a first military vehicle? Insurance for it will be an issue, as by the time I get one i'll be 18/19, so preferably something not too large, and also something not too complicated to drive or keep in good shape. Was thinking something like a Hotchkiss M201 and perhaps do it in an RAF scheme (was thinking second tactical air force), parts look pretty readily available and cheap, plus I wouldn't have people moaning at me for painting a Willys Jeep in whatever colours I wanted. Cheers, Rob

I wouldn't bank on people not moaning about you painting it any colour you like :!:

Especially if you are going to do it because its ONLY an M201 :twisted:

Paint it however you like, but please don't 'Dis' the M201 as not being a proper jeep, it was still made by Willys (well almost ) ....................................

Cheers

Paul

Cheers, I wouldn't say the M201 is 'only' an M201, if you ask me it's still as much as a Jeep as the Willys one (I still can't tell the difference). The only thing I don't want happening is turning up to a show to have a good time, and then get slated at by Jeep purists for having it in non-original colours or modifying it (seen a quite nice Jeep used as a crash tender by the RAF)

Cheers, I wouldn't say the M201 is 'only' an M201, if you ask me it's still as much as a Jeep as the Willys one (I still can't tell the difference). The only thing I don't want happening is turning up to a show to have a good time, and then get slated at by Jeep purists for having it in non-original colours or modifying it (seen a quite nice Jeep used as a crash tender by the RAF)

You go for what ever you want and heres why.

Tonight we took a truck loads of kiddies into town in the back of the Jimmy so we could all get fish abd chips as one of my daughters was having a sleep over.

The amout of fun we had and the smiles on their and the amount of people we spoke to and wave at was wonderful.

......how on earth would having the 'right' coloured jeep or the 'right' tyres on a vehicle make any difference to the fun that we just had?

Go for it!

I wouldn't have people moaning at me for painting a Willys Jeep in whatever colours I wanted. Cheers, Rob

Why would you get moaned at for painting Willys jeep in whatever colours you want :?: .

You have to remember that after the war civilians owned these little beauties and they were painted all sorts of colours.

Now the choice of either MB or GPW over an M201 is basically up to you.

Do you want a wartime jeep or a jeep :?: .

If you want a wartime jeep and buy an M201 and make it look like a wartime jeep you'll never be happy :cry: because you didn't actually want one an M201 you wnated an MB or GPW.

Now if you're not worried about it being wartime and you just want a jeep the M201 is a better option. Better electrics, stonger fast more powerful engine, stonger tranfer box etc.

At the end of the day the decision is yours.