Darkening paint

Surveyor

The quick answer is by adding black this will always darken any base colour but you need only a tiny amount.  The difficult bit comes when you want to alter the shade then it gets more complicated so if that's what you need to do I suggest you do a web search about how to go about that.  I had a look at RAL 1019 on the screen but I can't decide if it's a light shade of grey/ beige or very light flat brown/green.

The best thing to do is invest in some cheap plastic water colour pallet trays from your local art shop and buy some 5 ml and 1 ml polythene pipets of e-bay for a couple of £'s for 20 or so of each and experiment taking a careful note of the volumes of base colour to darken agent you use until you get what you are looking for then you can scale it up to the full size can.

Word to wise at this point the top coat will be effected by the colour of the undercoat you are using so paint up a series of test strips with the same undercoat as the main job.  Also when you do your final large scale mix do a larger volume than you think you'll need as it may prove difficult to rematch later on.

Pete

Pete

Many thanks, I was not thinking of that, I was going to try and get a rattle can the closest RAL for what I am looking at is 1019 its a tad lighter but I think its that close no one will know especially for the light most are in a much worse condition

Richard