Good day to you all.

Africa Shell

Hi Everyone, 

I should introduce myself to the collective as I’ve added a few posts online and haven’t really introduced myself to the group here so thought it  was time to sort that out.

I'm Alan, hailing from the south east cast of the UK , I've always had a love of second world war history, and I've finally taken the plunge and done something about it. 

As many of us will probably admit as a child I always wanted a tank, but as I’ve grown and understood the value of money I knew this was a unrealistic target,  i then started looking at jeeps, their practical (well as practical as 80 year old vehicles are ) can fit in a normal garage and parts are readily available, but for me they just didn’t have that spark. 

In the last 2 years I’ve been part of a royal navy beach commando re-enactment group and that’s where I first got to really play with a ww2 vehicle, a 1938 Bedford aeroscreen, and well to be honest I fell in love with her. 

I needed my own!

With a lot of conversations and help from my very good friends, in November I took ownership of a 1942 Bedford MWD. Now it’s in the process of a major overhaul, I’m not calling it a restoration as she’s in very good condition, but she does need some TLC, and that’s what’s happening.

I have spend many an hour fettling away rewiring her and sorting out surprising leaks and seized fittings.

She is now running and I’m in the process of learning to drive again, having never had to double to declutch in my life!    

Now if only i can get the windscreen wipers to wipe at the same speed. Its doing my OCD in!

I want to already thank the other Bedford MW owners on here for the blogs of their own restorations they have helped me so much,   and everyone else for  all the fascinating posts and restorations going on in the world

. thanks Alan 

my bedford 2.jpeg

Edited by Africa Shell
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Africa Shell said:

Hey John, 

HaHa!!!

Don’t they just!  They give her so much character but it is very frustrating to watch, once every 5 minutes they might be in time for one or two wipes. 

I will give you a tip, apply Rain-X on your screens and you will find the rain runs off quickly and often don't need the wipers. Works well on my Bedford.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard, 

Great tip thanks, my windscreen is my latest problem and project as the bottom channels have rotted out and are now in need of replacement, off to the fabricators to see if i can get something made up to replace them. 

i was told to put a bead of clear silicon around my windows to prevent the next pair of bottom channels going the same way.

its the simple things that really make a difference.