Index of British Military Vehicles in photgraphs

robin craig

Question

A long time ago, when I had time, I used to make scale models, quite a bit.

At that time, I had started making a list of all British Military Vehicles and their Military registration number or ARN. It also showed what colour scheme they were in and a bit of extra info if say it was an oddity ie like a Bedford truck in white but fitted with a snow plow in Cyprus etc. The listing made mention of which publication the photo was in and what page etc so anyone could find the resource later. I did it manually listing the vehicles in the ARN sequence and at no time did I copy in the photo.

I am, foolishly, considering doing this again, starting from scratch, trolling through all my reference material. this time I would like to do it in a manner that ensures that the effort is not lost like my past one. I would like to somehow set it up in the public domain on a free basis. I guess someone, likely me, would have to be the administrator, so that others could pass on info and make that available to the list.

I am just trying t get my head around the enormity (and foolishness) f the project and what benefirt others could derive of it.

I know when I did the old one it was useful to people as one could track in service pictures of vehicles during their lifetime.

I now throw open the floodgates for discussion, be aware that if you suggest something I might ask you to be part of this vortex!

R

4 answers to this question

A long time ago, when I had time, I used to make scale models, quite a bit.

At that time, I had started making a list of all British Military Vehicles and their Military registration number or ARN. It also showed what colour scheme they were in and a bit of extra info if say it was an oddity ie like a Bedford truck in white but fitted with a snow plow in Cyprus etc. The listing made mention of which publication the photo was in and what page etc so anyone could find the resource later. I did it manually listing the vehicles in the ARN sequence and at no time did I copy in the photo.

I am, foolishly, considering doing this again, starting from scratch, trolling through all my reference material. this time I would like to do it in a manner that ensures that the effort is not lost like my past one. I would like to somehow set it up in the public domain on a free basis. I guess someone, likely me, would have to be the administrator, so that others could pass on info and make that available to the list.

I am just trying t get my head around the enormity (and foolishness) f the project and what benefirt others could derive of it.

I know when I did the old one it was useful to people as one could track in service pictures of vehicles during their lifetime.

I now throw open the floodgates for discussion, be aware that if you suggest something I might ask you to be part of this vortex!

R

Would something like album.sixappealwheel.org (I set that up) be helpful or are you thinking more along the lines of something with a database?

In particular http://album.sixappealwheel.org/index.php/The-Almost-complete-numerical-TACR2a-album_ might be interesting to you.

Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. Your TACR register is brilliant, I have admired that for a while now.

Because of all the magazines and books that the photos are in and the schmozzle involved in A getting permission to use the images B the physical activity of actually scanning and uploading them, it isnt going to happen, I just wont live that long.

A simple database is all I can manage, in the public domain, with a moderator only upload of changes, but viewable to all and sundry in the public domain in perpetuity (perhaps Jack will allow it on here).

A line would ready something like this:-

04 FD 45 Scorpion CMV 108 May 2010 P39 B+W B+W AMFL Norway ca 1980

Which would translate out as:-

04 FD 45 Scorpion Classic Military Vehicle magazine issue 108 May 2010 on page 39 photo is black and white vehicle is black and white in use by Ace Mobile Force Land in Norway circa 1980

Of course if there was a subsequent photo of the same vehicle in a different scheme or different upgrade fit with a different user then there would be another line above or below it with that info. Bob Morrison used that system that I had to track a particular Land Rover ambulance in about 5 different users and varying camouflage schemes.

So, gradually over time as others send in scanned in images to the moderator they can be sorted through and added without any copywrite issues. It also saves me buying every publication ever printed. We can all assist in sending stuff in.

So when Sirhc posts about a recently demobbed CVRT we can see all the different places it may have served that have been captured in film at.

R

Edited by robin craig

Dear Robin,

That is a very nice thing to say, thank you!

I think you are on to something and I am willing to help.

Can you pm me your e-mail address?

Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. Your TACR register is brilliant, I have admired that for a while now.

Because of all the magazines and books that the photos are in and the schmozzle involved in A getting permission to use the images B the physical activity of actually scanning and uploading them, it isnt going to happen, I just wont live that long.

A simple database is all I can manage, in the public domain, with a moderator only upload of changes, but viewable to all and sundry in the public domain in perpetuity (perhaps Jack will allow it on here).

A line would ready something like this:-

04 FD 45 Scorpion CMV 108 May 2010 P39 B+W B+W AMFL Norway ca 1980

Which would translate out as:-

04 FD 45 Scorpion Classic Military Vehicle magazine issue 108 May 2010 on page 39 photo is black and white vehicle is black and white in use by Ace Mobile Force Land in Norway circa 1980

Of course if there was a subsequent photo of the same vehicle in a different scheme or different upgrade fit with a different user then there would be another line above or below it with that info. Bob Morrison used that system that I had to track a articular Land Rover ambulance in about 5 different users and varying camouflage schemes.

So, gradually over time as others send in scanned in images to the moderator they can be sorted through and added without any copywrite issues. It also saves me buying every publication ever printed. We can all assist in sending stuff in.

So when Sirhc posts about a recently demobbed CVRT we can see all the different places it may have served that have been captured in film at.

R