Dodgw WC tappets

No Signals

New(ish) owner. Garage upside down and cannot find my TM for love nor money. Want to check the tappets but find that it appears I cannot remove the covers without stripping other bits. Should this be so? Front one appears to be blocked by either fuel pump or manifold and rear one by manifold or external pipe. Is this a bigger job than I was hoping for? :(

Why do you need to work on the tappets , [ lifters ] I'm guessing is the engine skipping or noise ? If you can turn the bolts they are not to long and the cover will slide out the bottom . I would not take the manifold off if i did not haft to!!! my $.02

I want to check the valve clearances just so that I know they are correct. I've no confidence in the work that previous owners have done and so have no reason to believe these will have been set properly either :x The covers wont just slide out. At the rear tthere is a (?) breather pipe stopping it and at the top of the front the fuel pump is in the way. Tried wangling it all ways but without stripping some other bits its a no no.

The engine isnt particularly noisy but it is blowing a fair bit of smoke and has a tendancy to lose power on a long run. Too tight tappets/lifters and a valve not seating properly could be one cause. Thanks for the input.

Guest matt

You should be able to remove the valve covers without taking the manifold off. if you need to remove the fuel pump and rear vent it is not a major job,just make sure you have a new gasket for refitting the pump!!

Do you have the engine manual for the Dodge?

Any problems give me a shout!

Matt.

To check the tappets, you need to Remove the RH front wheel, the splash shield, the fuel pump heat shield, the ventilator and pipe and finally the vale spring covers. The tappets are adjusted at normal working temperature.

Guest matt

Some 3/4 WC's appear to have never had the heat shields fitted,and those that did have often lost them as they can be a pain to remove/refit.

John at Midwest has repros,http://www.midwestmil.com

Matt.