Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 90 Amp Generator on 109 FFR Land Rover

Default Re: 90 Amp Generator on 109 FFR Land Rover

Jimmy well done you have sorted the problem due to your diligence & determination. You must be feeling very pleased.

If the ammeter swings to the right then back to '0' it means the batteries are not accepting any more charge ie the batteries are fully charged!

Now is the time to test the other harness & generator panel, so that you can be certain you have spares that are in working order.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

2. Advertisement

PS Sorry I meant say that the reason that high revving does not produce extra voltage is that the voltage regulator is functioning correctly

As you increase engine speed the output voltage tries to increase but the voltage regulator senses this so it reduces the voltage it sends to the field winding via U-V. This reduces the magnetic field so there is less output voltage generated.

The reason to rev a bit when testing for output is that at idle & low revs there may not be enough output for the generator to achieve its design output.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Clive,

Well noted and I will do the testing to see if I do have spares in working condition.
    Meanwhile I really want to thank you so much for your support !!!
    Very honestly I think that I would have gave up since long if not feeling pushed by you on my research.

I really learnt that patience is a key, and step by step approach a good solution, if not the only one.

Your documentation and knowledge is a real bible and you can be sure that I will strongly advertise it on the French Forum I participate for my friends that have old FFR Series or Light.

If not that far I would have come to pay a beer !!!!

Thanks again for all the help !!!

Jimmy

Jimmy that is kind of you. You learn a lot when you have to sort out the problem yourself, far more than getting a professional to fix it for you. Although many professionals are trained for commercial installations & have no knowledge of the intricacies of old military systems.

A logical approach is the key & not to assume anything works unless you have proved that it does. There is an old medical saying "No treatment without a diagnosis" which holds true for vehicle electrics. Often people replace things without knowing whether the replacement items are themselves in working order & that can just complicate matters further.

By all means let your friends see the articles, but with your experience you are now an expert on field windings, carbon brushes & slip-rings!
    Clive Elliott

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information