Get some in

Jack

The Great Central Railway, Leicestershire's premier steam railway will formally mark the 60th Anniversary of National Service over the weekend of 8th/9th August 2009 with a weekend event that encourages National Service veterans, re-enactors and restored military vehicles of the National Service era to come together and commemorate the 13 years of compulsory call up which started on January 1st 1949.

A restored 8 mile double track main line that recreates the 1950/60's British Railways scene, when steam ruled but diesels were just appearing; the Great Central Railway is the ideal location in which to attempt to recreate the everyday sights of the National Service era, when trains were always full of traveling military personnel, and kit bags and battered suitcases vied with brief cases and bucket and spades.

All arms and all ranks are welcome, as long as the uniforms or civi outfits are appropriate; we are talking of 1948-1962 period attire and yes civilian re-enactors are most welcome as well - a few de-mob suits and teddy boys perhaps!

All veterans wearing their Government issued HM Armed Forces Veterans’ Lapel Badge (see attached image) will be given free train travel on the day, with accompanying party members all traveling for a flat fare of £5 each.

Uniformed and civilian re-enactors will all travel for a flat fare of £5 each.

Period military and civilian vehicle drivers displaying their vehicles at Quorn station for at least half the day will be given free train travel on the day, with accompanying party members all traveling for a flat fare of £5 each.

This could turn out to be a great opportunity to do something just a little bit different and very worthwhile.

Finally, ONLY APPROPRIATE NATIONAL SERVICE ERA MILITARY VEHICLES please! Ex WW2 vehicles were in use by the British Army right up until the end of the NS era so are applicable. NO dismounted weapons and definitely no Axis as we were all friends by then! PLEASE CAN I REITERATE THAT THIS IS NOT A WW2 EVENT.

Please see the attached poster and feel free to email me for a high res pdf copy to share with any NS veterans or your local Royal British Legion/RAF Association etc. Email me direct as below - ditto if you think you'll try and make it.

As well as squaddies in 49 pattern Battle Dress, I'd love to see some RAF types and some bell bottom wearing sea farers and would welcome pointers to any such groups who may be worth approaching to encourage them along.

Thanks for your interest.

Neil Stevens - cckw353 @ mac.com

Getsomein.jpg