Anyone going to claming this ????

Dave C

:shake: Incident No: 3339

Date: 11-02-2009

Time: 12:17

Details: Grenade found in container

Address: School Lane, Great Leighs

Attendance: 2 x Braintree

:shake: Crews are standing by following the discovery of a rocket propelled grenade. The 81mm mortar was found in the back of a storage container.

A 200m exclusion zone has been set up and Police are evacuating a nearby nursery and neighbouring properties.

At 13:30 hrs, crews report the Army bomb disposal experts are now at the incident.

At 13:44 The Fire Service has now dealt with this incident.

Station Officer Steve Wintrip, who was commander at the incident, said: "The mortar was found in the container which had been opened by the owner and the Police who withdrew as soon as they saw it.

"When we turned up we ascertained that it was an 81mm mortar complete with its percussion cap and the bomb disposal squad were called in.

"In the end it turned out to be a training mortar and not a live round, although it had been painted green like a live round and that led to the confusion."

Dave C

Some years ago locally, a little old lady caused a big problem. She had been propping here door open with a large shell, brought back by someone from the first world war. The problem came, when an OED officer on leave walked past. He realised it was a live round, and had the whole road closed. Latter that day, a very large bang on the local beech and a large hole in the sand ended the incident.

We also had a couple stopped on a motor bike, on the main A38 near Plymouth. The plod was unhappy, as the pillon had a very large burgan which was moving about a lot. The bag was inspected, as it seems very heavy. Several live 3" rounds were found, which had been removed from the live fire range on dartmoor! The road was closed for many hours, and the OED decided to blow them up by the road as the rounds were in such bad condition.

Bonkers. I have every sympathy with the people dealing with these lunatics. My best man told me how his granny had a live shell on the mantlepiece from WW2 which started fizzing some time in the 1970s. Not sure how. From his description I worked out it was a forty mil shell from an AA site. I can't remember how they got rid of it.

Near me a bloke has got a very big shell as a door post to his house. Perhaps it came from Shoeburyness. I'm only amazed someone hasn't nicked it for scrap, because also near me is a chap who had a Hastings propellor in his garden - some gentlemen of the road (sic) came round when he was out and lopped off one of the blades for loot.