M1 helmet fixed bails

Sgtfenne

I got a M1 Helmet with fixed bails, but it has a sand finish on the shell.

Did the Americans use a sand finish on their helmets in WWII?? Maybe late? There is also a number stamped in the inner front site of the shell.

Did the early M1 helmets have these numbers on the inside?? :roll:

I have yet to see an original M1 with a tan or sand finish but it could be field applied camo OR the OD has faded to a tan color.

As to markings I will have to check but I have seen stampings inside M1 helmet shells. do the bales look original? is the edge of the helmet stainless steel? is the seam at the front or rear?

Cheers,

Matt.

The helmet has an OD finish with a sand finish instead of a cork finish.

The bails look original fixed. The rim is a stainless steel, but the seam on the front is not realy visable. I removed the OD, but the rim is flattened I think with a hammer.

In the front of the helmet shell are the numbers 800 4(?)3 I guess. Will have to remove the OD to be sure.

• 1 month later...

i have an early M1 fixed bale helmet thqt has the OD sand finish and I have another that just has the OD smooth finish. Neither have any numbers or markings in them . Not to say that the markings are not original .Remember the helmets were made by different manufacturers and were in continuous use from 1942 until the introduction of the new Kelvar helmets used today, so many were redone and re-issued. When I was in Vietnam we were still being issued WWII dated rations and web gear.