Chassis numbers...

Guest matt

Hi,

I am wondering how a vehicle owner would feel if while at a show they were approached by a member of the public asking if they could take a note of the chassis number of the owners vehicle? the reason I'm asking if myself and a friend in Norway are trying to build a record of surviving GMC CCKW's worldwide and while most owners are more than willing to enter their vehicles details I have found that many Brits are reluctant to do so.

Cheers,

Matt.

i have been witness to a chap down at horndean collecting Jeep details.

Most owners obliged once they realised he wasn't up to no good. If you advertise what you are planning on doing ie on this site, in windscreen & in the main military magazines then owners will get to hear about you & will not be surprised if you approach them at an event.

Many of us have been questioned by members of the public at shows & I have to admit to getting a little defensive when I'm not sure what the motive is.

We had an American approach us at Horndean in the anniversary show in 2004 & he asked if he could have details & photo's for his magazine back in the states,I have to admit to being vein enough about my vehicles to want to show them off. I expect most owners have been asked for details etc.

You may get lucky & once people know what you are doing they may start sending you the photo's & details etc you need without you even asking.

theres nowt as queer as folk they say & you will come up against those who will get funny but on the whole MV owners will be friendly & more than happy to help.

I'll gladly forward my GMC details, I'm sure he won't mind :D

cheers

Berni

Thanks guys :) I will PM you with the info I need. Colin you are quite right about the Deuce and a half site but this is going to be a more detailed database which not only records surviving CCKW's but any that the data can be collected on,this I hope will eventually allow more insight into production numbers,special orders,etc.

Cheers,

Matt.