harrier practive bomb - moving - lifting eye/or advice

Another suggestion is to make something similar to the box but built like a sled.  Some 4"x2" timber with a couple of pallets on top.  Then a couple of bits of timber  and straps to stop the bomb rolling off.  Then lift one end of the sled with the excavator and track backwards dragging it out.  Some round fence stabs might work as rollers - very Stonehenge.

Some creative lifting and pushing/pulling could also get it onto your trailer.

Sounds like it could be fun, very frustrating when it is not going to plan, but very satisfying when completed.

Dan

Job done.

I got there - all the comments and pictures you folk sent helped - so many thanks.   

The holder at the nose worked wonders - I had been using straps but they slipped, However a coil of polyprop did the trick and was also great to secure the bomb to the trailer for my throught Inverness!

I now have to find a way to put it on display, it would be nice sitting nose down in the ground - with most of it showing?

IMG_20240922_181311.jpg

IMG_20240922_181318.jpg

IMG_20240922_191951.jpg

IMG_20240922_191929.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

From Basic Combat Engineer Skills: part 1 (RE: 1981).  In case useful.

A

IMG_1735.jpg

Adrian,  I have the 1911 Manual of Field Engineering.  I found it facinating - how to compute the flow of water in a  burn/river, how much water you need for a troop, how to cross a ravine with a rapid pile footbridge etc.  I never though about moving forward in time.  Your input is/was much appreciated.

Iain

Nose up: so people know it's a bomb!  Give some thought about the depth of a footing to stop it toppling over if it gets a good clout.  Nose down would only work - in my view - if you could get hold of a tail unit (so people know it's a bomb!)

All the best.

A

24 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Nose up: so people know it's a bomb!  Give some thought about the depth of a footing to stop it toppling over if it gets a good clout.  Nose down would only work - in my view - if you could get hold of a tail unit (so people know it's a bomb!)

All the best.

A

I am on the hunt for a tail - I am told there was one in an inverness museum that shutdown.

Somebody said the units were hollow (I had assumed concrete filled).  If hollow I could remove the detonator and the "plug at the rear" and insert a pole/section through the bomb.  The plan was a nice poured concrete slab with the pole supported on a ground plate embedded in the 'crete.  (Same as we do for masts that we put up).

4 minutes ago, iainmaoileoin said:

I am on the hunt for a tail - I am told there was one in an inverness museum that shutdown.

Somebody said the units were hollow (I had assumed concrete filled).  If hollow I could remove the detonator and the "plug at the rear" and insert a pole/section through the bomb.  The plan was a nice poured concrete slab with the pole supported on a ground plate embedded in the 'crete.  (Same as we do for masts that we put up).

Screenshot 2024-09-23 135740.png

At the end of all of this I fear there was a trivial way to proceed ;-(

Take out the detonator, take out the end-cap, strap or rod front to back, job done.

In my head I had the bomb filled with concrete.  I didnt pay attention to the "the cast makes up the weight" comment.

So if anyone else is on this job a strop/strap through the bomb may be an easier way to fly. 

I might go down that route for the "lift off" and see if it is viable.  But not this week 😉

19 minutes ago, iainmaoileoin said:

At the end of all of this I fear there was a trivial way to proceed ;-(

Take out the detonator, take out the end-cap, strap or rod front to back, job done.

In my head I had the bomb filled with concrete.  I didnt pay attention to the "the cast makes up the weight" comment.

So if anyone else is on this job a strop/strap through the bomb may be an easier way to fly. 

I might go down that route for the "lift off" and see if it is viable.  But not this week 😉

Don't leave home without one! <https://pro11wellbeing.co.uk/product/pro11-wellbeing-hernia-belt/>

Ask at the National Museum of Aviation  -  located at East Fortune Airfield ,  North Berwick  -  they may just have a complete sample of this bomb  & blueprint / able to get you the tailfin drawings  ?

You may not have  'employed persons'  involved , you may be DIY in total - however - if a risk assessment is completed  / & work in accordance with LOLER Regs.  - then there should be no injuries , normally a excavator used for craning is fitted with rupture valves  !   Normally for best effect such as a bomb is best suspended from a gibbet ,  anything less is a bit naff.

2 hours ago, ruxy said:

You may not have  'employed persons'  involved , you may be DIY in total - however - if a risk assessment is completed  / & work in accordance with LOLER Regs.  - then there should be no injuries , normally a excavator used for craning is fitted with rupture valves  !   Normally for best effect such as a bomb is best suspended from a gibbet ,  anything less is a bit naff.

It is just me and the wife.  So RAMS etc are done 'on the job.  We are very aware of the issues with using a wee digger!  We have blown a few pipes in the past 😉

Hey the great thing about owning everything personally (and not having a company wrapped around it) is that I can form my own H&S.    I am nearly 70 and still alive and kicking, yes I have had some scrapes but never been injured at work.  Strangely enough it is paragliding, horse-riding, waterski jumping etc that have done me much more damage than 'work'.

I appreciate it is a very different matter when the public or employees are involved - but they dont get near our manouvers. 

8 hours ago, iainmaoileoin said:

It is just me and the wife.  So RAMS etc are done 'on the job.  We are very aware of the issues with using a wee digger!  We have blown a few pipes in the past 😉

Hey the great thing about owning everything personally (and not having a company wrapped around it) is that I can form my own H&S.    I am nearly 70 and still alive and kicking, yes I have had some scrapes but never been injured at work.  Strangely enough it is paragliding, horse-riding, waterski jumping etc that have done me much more damage than 'work'.

I appreciate it is a very different matter when the public or employees are involved - but they dont get near our manouvers. 

As noted: good job!