Wanted Series 2A Land Rover Lightweight Bonnet

07BE16

I am looking for a Series 2A Land Rover Lightweight bonnet to replace my current Series 3 version.  These differ in having deeper rear edge corner stiffeners as per picture

Please PM me if you know of one for sale.

Thanks Richard

bonnet 4.jpg

I just happened to look at a shallow rear stiffener bracket bonnet this afternoon (pondering a 8mm drilled hole on LH side that needs Tig welding to fill.  Almost certain this is sprayed inside NATO green factory paint (so from approx. 1979)  and IIRC belonged off a  1979   --HF--    ,  so I think you are wrong on stiffener depth ,  some very early S2A  Rover 1 did not have notch at sides to pass co-axial from  ATU box (Larkspur) from stowage point on wing inner - that would be a hard find .  You don't clarify - I suppose you have a LATE  S3 bonnet and your photograph in fact originates from a EARLY S3 or S2A  ?

You need to clarify  your wording 'these' , what do  'these' relate too   ,,   btw  - that toolbox is mounted  90 degrees out , probably to avoid collision with a deep flanged stiffener.

Ruxy,

I currently have a S3 bonnet (In DBG underneath many other layers) with a 'shallow stiffener'. My vehicle is 42FG92 (Jan 1969) so I believe I need the earlier style bonnet (with co-axial cable notches) and deeper stiffeners which is visible on a number of 2A vehicles.

The Photo I attached was one I had 'grabbed' from the internet to just show the style of stiffener.

I think I am correct in saying is that the bonnet you specifically require  - ran-on unchanged during S3 years until the shallow stiffener appeared. 

btw  - I have found this bonnet you require - just inboard of the stiffener cracks up the 3/4" flange , I have drilled two right at the 90 degree bend to stop the crack propagating & Tig welded up.  Not known a LATE bonnet to crack at that position - so probably the original stiffener was too stiff , although it looks more the part.

17 hours ago, Potless said:

Later bonnets had the shorter stiffener to clear the brake servo.

Have you actually had a  EARLY  (S2A)  bonnet clash with with a S3 Girling Supervac vacuum unit  ?     I think it probably does .  The problem with Solihull supercession numbers for Series (unlike Defender)  they don't give the "change-point" linked to VIN Nos.   Also Solihull don't always follow their own rules (not all are known) for  S/S.    In the  S3  L'wt time frame there were actually  3 qty.  Part numbers.    -   393102  This must be a Rover Co. No.  (at first blush to me this looks more like a Rover 1 (production)  S2A   Suffix A  +  B  Part no.     by mid-1970's  MRC2454   (this may be a Unipart spares supply No.  -  don't ask)  finally   MTC1622   (I would guess this is a actual Land Rover No.) 

Split tail-gate lower panel for the rivet-counter is more complex  ,  having a bonnet that hinges clear with a S2A is more a problem of fitting a 'underbonnet tool-box'   (factory fitted abt. 1979 - on)   correctly , even fitting a UBTB to a pre-1980's LWT can be a problem - it's best to look at footwell interior on one factory fitted , as the bolt-holes where the underside backing plate go are right on a spot-weld lap seam.  I have four spare bonnets  - it seems defo.  1 early 2 late + 1 unknown.  All purhased / collected by self on a car roof rack - 07BE16  lives mid-country , self in north , too much trouble to make a ply/timber packing case + £ cost shipping & he could not work in a holiday tour.  Pity , when I had a double check - the one I said I would sell has two small holes where spot welds torn out at tool stow bracket  BUT i's in fact a LATE bonnet.  But I'm almost certain the EARLY one is perfect.

2 hours ago, Potless said:

Yes I have and an early bonnet will only fit if you cut down the stiffener . there will be two part numbers for s3 bonet our to lhd and rhd options.

No  LHD & RHD options for bonnet  - it's  AC/DC   .   There was a LHD & a RHD option for the bulkhead , the only difference I have detected is the location of a pair of RivNuts for mounting the fire extinguisher bracket ,  bit daft for spares stock control.