Ww1 paint experiment

jpw

I thought this might be of interest. I recently started making some of the paints in the 1915 artificer handbook. The service colour for artillery pieces etc proved interesting. The shade depended not only on the original of some of the pigments but also the mixing style and dampness of them. The prussian blue in particular showed itself particularly susceptible to not dispersing in the oil media producing a fairly dull brown. However if it was dampened the classic khaki drab instantly was apparent. The picture below shows the difference from the same spatula of pigment mix. It just goes to show that the variations in production could be varied even with small preparation changes. Good job it was made by the hundredweight.

IMG_20240423_104328_281.jpg

IMG_20240423_104348_758.jpg

• Like 1

I had most of the things to hand including the lead white. I am lucky to have access to a wide variety of toxic compounds. However I'm sure that the internet could furnish you with the requirements. I had to make the patent driers from several other sources and the prussian blue as I had run out.  The driers used was lead acetate based, but it's contribution to the paint is just an off white. This could be substituted with a similar colour pigment.  The plan was to create a fresh colour that I could create a similar mix of non toxic pigments.

IMG_20240417_123203_410.jpg

IMG_20240418_092730_217.jpg

• Like 3