50mm threaded plug.. ?

Question

19 answers to this question

Evening Dave - can you confirm exactly what is stamped into the upper surface.  The 43 in the circle is consistent with the date stamp on certain types of ordnance - but I do not recognise the item.  Also, just to confirm, the diameter of the threated section is 2"?

Below are a couple of images from a 1980s vintage plug from a British 1000lb medium capacity iron bomb.  My default is to look for an ordnance link!  But, to me, the underside has a very similar appearance.

IMG_8766 - Copy (3).JPG

IMG_8767 - Copy (3).JPG

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
ambiguity

32 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Evening Dave - can you confirm exactly what is stamped into the supper surface.  The 43 in the circle is consistent with the date stamp on certain types of ordnance - but I do not recognise the item.  Also, just to confirm, the diameter of the threated section is 2"?

Below are a could of images from a 1980s vintage plug from a British 1000lb medium capacity iron bomb.  My default is to look for an ordnance link!  But, to me, the underside has a very similar appearance.

IMG_8766 - Copy (3).JPG

IMG_8767 - Copy (3).JPG

6 minutes ago, 31770 said:

Certainly not of ferrous metal, doesn’t look like brass or bronze either 🤔

That was going to be my next question!  The stampings are very ordnance in nature but, as mentioned, I cannot place the item.  My best guess, pending someone offering a positive ID, is a blanking plug from ordnance.  However, as a paperweight, on my desk, I have the filling plug from a US drop-tank of WW2 vintage: the diameter of the thread is  only just in excess of 2".

IMG_9283.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

9 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

WDC is possibly the foundry mark for Wolverhampton Die Casting

Another possibility for WDC is "Wolverhampton Diecasting Company." 

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/2020/02/25/identifying-ww2-mills-hand-grenade-makers-and-parts/

Edited by MatchFuzee

14 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

The 'Z' usually indicates zinc (see the Mills bomb image).

Post war the Wolverhampton Die Casting Company Limited was a major caster of zinc items:-

"By the 1950s over one hundred and fifty million zinc and aluminium alloy pressure die castings were produced each year."

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Engineering/DieCasting/company.htm