Mystery Object No. 37

fv1609

Yes well deduced Robert correct on all counts.

It is a Casket, Cremation spec 1965. To be used in conjunction with Coffin, Cremation which differed from Coffin, Burial.

Both types of coffin had different specs for England & Wales compared with Scotland & N.Ireland.

Anybody know the differences?

Hmmm... that was going to be one of my answers but as you shot me down with a straight nope :dunno:

Coffin :evil:

But hold on a minute you're now asking...

Both types of coffin had different specs for England & Wales compared with Scotland & N.Ireland.

:whistle:

Yes Lee you were thinking along the right lines at the outset, I thought you were going get it virtually straight away. I'm sorry to have just "noped" you. Nobody likes a negative response & nope I think sounds slightly kinder that no. But had I said anything else the game would have been over instantly & I would not have been able to see the range of thoughts from the forum. This I find quite fascinating the various approaches people adopt teasing a tiny detail to get to the answer or going off at a tangent or assuming that most will be about latrines or Humbers. I had been expecting you to have come back with the casket answer given the size of the plastic bag, I thought you were biding your time.

The question about specs for coffins is just an aside question that I threw in as it followed on from the answer. But it wasn't part of the original question.

BTW the spec for caskets is the same all parts of the UK, but I was intrigued that there were regional variations for coffins.

There are differences between burial & cremation coffins, these mainly relate to fixtures being combustible of course.

Hurray for spell checkers I keep finding myself typing gasket instead of casket!

PS My wife has just pointed out that coffin = casket. I think this is what the Americans say, she has been watching too much CSI. Were you thinking in American speak maybe? The English definition is different coffin = chest for the dead etc, casket = small box for jewels, ashes etc. I was just going by the Army description of mystery object.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Coffins, Burial and Coffins, Cremation can be constructed of West African hardwood. But:

Coffins produced in England & Wales can also be of Elm.

Coffins produced in Scotland or N.Ireland can also be of Douglas Fir.