Saracen driver's hatch hydraulics and vision block

trophy160

I've got around to the last of the cosmetic improvements to my Saracen, namely the drivers hatch. The hydraulics have never fully lifted the inner flap presumably due to a lack of fluid. There are also signs of historic hydraulic leakage near the ram. So I have several questions:

1. What hydraulic fluid should I use?

2. Where is the filler, there are three allen bolts on the top of the pump/reservoir, I have unscrewed the one on the left in the photo and the one near the handle, is this where I fill from?

3. Is there any need to bleed the system, if so from where?

4. With regard the ram, it may be that it would benefit from a change of seal(s), is this possible. There is what appears to be a non removable circlip at the top, should it be possible to strip the ram?

DSC00212.jpg

I also managed to remove the centre vision block which was knackered (I have a replacement one to fit). Since this was rusted in, the technique I used was to smash each of the 8 layers of glass in turn and once all the glass was removed I was able to collapse the outer frame of the vision block and remove it. In front of the vision block set into the armour is a separate piece of glass, I was very please that I had not broken this whilst smashing my way through the vision block.

Much to my annoyance, when I went back to the vehicle a few days later a crack had appeared down the middle of this piece of glass.

Does anyone know if this piece of glass is available, I have tried Richard Banister but he can't help

Nic

Nic it looks to be the same as in a Mk 2 Pig. I have the EMER with drawings of pump & ram if you get really stuck.

The fluid is OM-13

There are three Allen screws on the top of the pump, is there not a hexagonal headed screw on the top in lower right hand corner hidden in the photo by the pump handle? That is the filler plug.

PS You can dismantle the ram & replace the four O rings by removing the "internal circlip".

Edited by fv1609
PS

Yep, OM13 is what you should use (ISO 12 hydraulic fluid), but auto trans fluid will work. The filler should be the bold that is sticking up under the handle - careful though, if you overfill it, it'll spray out from the overflow.

OK I was being particularly thick yesterday, I shan't bore you with my excuses.

So I have dismantled the ram and can see the O rings, I am reluctant to remove them to take measurements in case they break and I can't get any replacements, so the next question perhaps for Clive is do you know what their dimensions are/where I might get replacements from?

Nic

Nic I suppose if the rings were that vulnerable then they are not worth retaining. Perhaps buy an O ring selection box & see what you can match & then hunt in earnest for any remaining. (If stuck I have a good range of O rings that I got from a scrapyard as they had no value as they were only interested in metal).

Below is a picture of the ram circa 1973. Not a lot of help I'm afraid.

Scan0028.jpg

The pump & ram were upgraded in 1975 there are lots of NSNs but none of the component internals.

2590-99-821-8227 Pump, hydraulic

2590-99-821-7966 Ram, retraction